Testing the waters: .17 or .22 (CZ452)

Wookie

Ok, fresh from the success of getting a permission with rabbits aplenty, my mind's been thinking of ways to spend a pay rise that I haven't got yet. One of these is a rifle. Ok, I haven't got an FAC yet, but I have always fancied a 452 Silhouette (don't know why, just have).

I'm thinking that, if I can get the FAC and justify the rifle to myself and the GF, I should get one, but the next big thing is whether to go for a .17HMR or a .22 with subs. I _know_ that it's the question that gets asked every five minutes on here, but what's more likely to get granted? How do they compare on price for rounds? Which round is better for the rifle? Which is likely to make the rifle last longer? Is the .17 a better option for rabbits (longer range/more stopping power etc) than a moderated .22 with subs?

I've always hedged for a .22 with subs, but then I've always had to think about shooting in a populated area (sort of) with horses to worry about.

Wookie

Interesting question and I would be interested in the latest views and round of answers. I have been toying with the idea of pulling my finger out for FAC but never got round to it - an extra safe to be bought and installed, another round of paperwork and form filling and static from the missus as she realises that another avenue of shooting is about to open up to me.

Apart from a semi auto .22 I fancied the shotty converstion for +5

I shall sit back and watch quietly for the replies.

EDIT:

Incidentally, which is considered to be the easies caliber / rifle to get passed for as a first time FAC application.

i went 22 for mt first rifle(when i get it that is).i thought the ammo was a better price and it would be cheaper to get a lot of practice in,my mate bought a 17 and i ll try it when i get a chance.i don t know just how much use i will get from a rifle but if i get to use it a lot then i ll proably buy a 17 for longer range work.as i say i bought the 22 for hunting and plinking.it will do my job

I've always hedged for a .22 with subs, but then I've always had to think about shooting in a populated area (sort of) with horses to worry about.

Wookie

I think the part I have quoted is really the key to your question Wookie. The big problem with LR is the richochet issue with them. I wouldn't fancy shooting an LR around horses or with houses / people near. But then the question is how "near" is near? Overall, I would say the HMR is much safer than LR but even with a top class moderator (DM80) it still makes much more noise than a moderated LR which is very quiet.

It is sometimes the case that an FAC air rifle is the best answer. More range than a standard air rifle (up to 70 yards if you're good enough although I only take it to 50 - 60) but also a lot more hitting power.

Interesting question and I would be interested in the latest views and round of answers. I have been toying with the idea of pulling my finger out for FAC but never got round to it - an extra safe to be bought and installed, another round of paperwork and form filling and static from the missus as she realises that another avenue of shooting is about to open up to me.

Apart from a semi auto .22 I fancied the shotty converstion for +5

I shall sit back and watch quietly for the replies.

EDIT:

Incidentally, which is considered to be the easies caliber / rifle to get passed for as a first time FAC application.

I would imagine FAC air rifle due to the fact it is lower powered than most other FAC weapons?

FM :good:

Horses for courses..

.22 with subs is best for close work, or use in populated areas, also gets my vote for shooting into groups of rabbits without disturbing the others.

I don't take on anything I don't I can kill cleanly and I dropped 2 rabbits yesterday morning, one at 100 yards, and the one just behind it (that I hadn't seen) when I had walked in 25 yards.

.17 wins out on longer range work, which can come in handy if they are a bit jumpy, or if you are too lazy to stalk up to within reasonable shooting distances :good:

In the last 2 years I've gone up into FAC., after and as well as shotgun and sub 12 ft/lbs air rifle.

A lot of my shooting is near houses/cattle/horses and can be in small fields.

I got a FAC air @ about 34 ft/lbs and a .22 rimfire with subs in it. A .17 did't interest me.

I use the guns as the land I'm on dictates, eg - on one particular field although passed for the rimfire, I'll 99% of the time take the FAC air due to footpaths and cattle. I've cleanly killed rabbits @ 50-60 yds with both rifles after putting in practise on cardboard zeroing at 50 yds.

After shooting a sub 12 ft/lbs air rifle FAC is a new world of fun, and its much easier getting to within 50 yds of a rabbit than 30 yds.

SAFETY is the thing, and as mentioned RICOCHETS are scary so be warned.

I'm not an expert and relatively new as mentioned, but for the people who say what's the point of getting a FAC air and a rimfire, I disagree, they both have their places and I'm glad I've got both :good:

The only thing against my FAC air is the weight (s410 Xtra averaging 33ft/lbs), but by using a sling and tripod is much easier to carry and shoot.

Perhaps if I went for another I might think of a carbine model , I think these go to around 18 or 25 ft/lbs, and are easier to shoot I would imagine.

If it's hilly and ricochets are unlikely to do damage, .22lr is spot on. I went for HMR as my first because it's safer. My land is like a bowling green! As for the easy one to get, my FEO likes HMR. Doesn't mean yours will! Either are a reasonable request from a beginner and should be passed. I'd prefer a .22, but it's just not an option where I shoot. I think it's got to be one of the most dangerous rounds available regarding ricochets, but that's only my opinion.

Anyone know if you can get a sak moderator with a .17 sized hole through the middle of it i dont want to hijack this thread just a simple answer will do the reason i ask is mine has a .22 sized hole are they all like this?

No, is the answer. My HMR is fitted with a DM80 which is made specifically for the HMR with a .17 hole! But as far as I know the DM80 is the only one available as .17. SAK certainly aren't.

Re FAC air rifles. I have just got rid of my PCPs which included an FAC Rapid mark 1. I just couldn't stand the dive shop and fill up palava. I am now about to get (just got to pick it up) and FAC Theoben Eliminator break barrel - about 26ft lbs with AA Fields or 30+ with Bisley mags.

Anyone know if you can get a sak moderator with a .17 sized hole through the middle of it i dont want to hijack this thread just a simple answer will do the reason i ask is mine has a .22 sized hole are they all like this?

No, is the answer. My HMR is fitted with a DM80 which is made specifically for the HMR with a .17 hole! But as far as I know the DM80 is the only one available as .17. SAK certainly aren't.

Re FAC air rifles. I have just got rid of my PCPs which included an FAC Rapid mark 1. I just couldn't stand the dive shop and fill up palava. I am now about to get (just got to pick it up) and FAC Theoben Eliminator break barrel - about 26ft lbs with AA Fields or 30+ with Bisley mags.

Who makes them dm80 mods would it fit on the same thread as my sak thread?And how much would one cost?

Who makes them dm80 mods would it fit on the same thread as my sak thread?And how much would one cost?

Dave Mercer aka DM80 over on the BBS and also Target Sports of Bolton's resident gunsmith(i believe)

IIRC they are £60, they are an over-barrel and 1/2" unf screw threaded moderator. A mate of mine has one on his CZ Varmint .17HMR and it slips over the barrel about 3" as well as screws on.

Dave Mercer aka DM80 over on the BBS and also Target Sports of Bolton's resident gunsmith(i believe)

IIRC they are �60, they are an over-barrel and 1/2" unf screw threaded moderator. A mate of mine has one on his CZ Varmint .17HMR and it slips over the barrel about 3" as well as screws on.

would it bring down the sound much more than the sak?

IIRC they are �60, they are an over-barrel and 1/2" unf screw threaded moderator. A mate of mine has one on his CZ Varmint .17HMR and it slips over the barrel about 3" as well as screws on.

Most people who use a DM80 will tell you they are streets ahead of any other HMR moderator by a long way. Even if this is going too far they are better than SAK by a long way!

I decided on a hmr simply because of the extra range involved and no worrying about riccoches, the fact that its a more expensive round doesnt bother me, because unless im on a range (hardly ever) i dont use alot of ammo, iv had my .17hmr home now for well over a month, coming on 2, and iv only used 70 rounds, thats covered about 4-5 trips out on the rabbits, and a few trips out for abit of plinking...

Its a fantastic round with so much potential.

The only thing i found abit of a downer is the wind, but even still .22 will get effected by wind. but not as much as .17 purely because of the extra range involved

Yes they do but you have to trade that for weight, the DM80 does make the gun slightly more front heavy but its nothing that you can't compensate for. Also Dave makes them rifle specific.... so if you have a 16" barrel or a 20" or varmint etc....

Ok, fresh from the success of getting a permission with rabbits aplenty, my mind's been thinking of ways to spend a pay rise that I haven't got yet. One of these is a rifle. Ok, I haven't got an FAC yet, but I have always fancied a 452 Silhouette (don't know why, just have).

I'm thinking that, if I can get the FAC and justify the rifle to myself and the GF, I should get one, but the next big thing is whether to go for a .17HMR or a .22 with subs. I _know_ that it's the question that gets asked every five minutes on here, but what's more likely to get granted? How do they compare on price for rounds? Which round is better for the rifle? Which is likely to make the rifle last longer? Is the .17 a better option for rabbits (longer range/more stopping power etc) than a moderated .22 with subs?

Wookie

How about shooting your rabbits and squirrels with a dead on hold out to 300 meters?

Check this out:

http://www.remington.com/products/ammuniti...on_Fireball.asp

I want to eat my bunnies after I've shot them!

Ok, just read another post about .17 ammo shortages (apparently _again_). Is this common? How variable are the different types and makes of .17 and does the variation between them really make _that much_ difference?

And, the real question: How much does .17 cost? Come to think of it, it's been a long while since I shot a .22; how much does .22 cost per round?