OMG..service interval

washerboy

I’m lucky as I have a friend at work who is a fully qualified diesel mechanic and he will work on my car if needed.so this evening he has given my car a full service, everything including all the wheels off, a full inspection.

He can stamp my service book up as well, as an after thought I looked at the service records and my car has done 56k from new on a 63 plate...but what shocked me is it hasn’t had an oil chance since 21k and the garage I bought it off didn’t service it at all when they gave it an mot at 44k . 

Thank goodness I can keep it maintained 

10 hours ago, washerboy said:

I’m lucky as I have a friend at work who is a fully qualified diesel mechanic and he will work on my car if needed.so this evening he has given my car a full service, everything including all the wheels off, a full inspection.

He can stamp my service book up as well, as an after thought I looked at the service records and my car has done 56k from new on a 63 plate...but what shocked me is it hasn’t had an oil chance since 21k and the garage I bought it off didn’t service it at all when they gave it an mot at 44k . 

Thank goodness I can keep it maintained 

Surely the garage will only do the service if you asked for it or are you saying they charged on the invoice and physically didn't do anything ? Many modern cars now have their service details imprinted onto the key's chip as opposed to the book being stamped so check that possibility too. I'd be having words if you can prove you paid for work not done. 

1 hour ago, washerboy said:

Sorry I should have said, I bought the car used and the book is stamped up . Yet all the parts predate the registration of the car and are the original parts that should have been changed according to the service records . 

How do you know that? 

BMW's will barely go 18k before the computer asks you to take it in for a service,  the brake fluids as well as pads have to be changed outside the actual service date and you get separate warnings for those so how anyone could go 30k between and 160k with 5 services is unclear. 

I don’t care much for these extended service intervals, 24k /30k is just asking for trouble later down the road. Once a year or 12k miles is what I stick to. I can’t remember if it was a BMW or Audi I owned previously but when resetting service indicator you could choose the extended service interval option. No wonder we see timing chains stretching etc