Bombycillas and Coccothraustes.

JDog

I am definitely not a ‘Twitcher’ more an amateur Ornithologist but I am getting slightly serious about spotting either of the above, neither of which I have ever seen.

There have been numerous sightings of both in this area recently. We were in Mablethorpe yesterday having read that a Waxwing had taken up residence in someone’s garden but we never located it. When we got home there were reports of Hawfinches on a golf course near Brigg.

If anyone on North or North east Lincolnshire knows of the whereabouts of either of these bird species can you let me know. I am struggling to prevent this gentle interest from becoming an obsession.

never seen waxwings here...........but that is to say they aint here....we have a lot of different finches here and they can easily get mixed up in them...............a very similar senario to sparrows and reed buntings...............we have 5 reed buntings feeding in the garden now...they have thrown their lot in with the old sparrows and can be difficult to spot....they will be here until they deciede to nest back down on the marshes ..and bit by bit they will leave and we wont see them until next year at the same time..........

i will pay more attention to our finches now incase the odd waxwing is mixed in..............

57 minutes ago, ditchman said:

never seen waxwings here...........but that is to say they aint here....we have a lot of different finches here and they can easily get mixed up in them...............a very similar senario to sparrows and reed buntings...............we have 5 reed buntings feeding in the garden now...they have thrown their lot in with the old sparrows and can be difficult to spot....they will be here until they deciede to nest back down on the marshes ..and bit by bit they will leave and we wont see them until next year at the same time..........

i will pay more attention to our finches now incase the odd waxwing is mixed in..............

Don't think so Ditchy. Waxwing seem to travel in flocks of their own species. Get them here on some winters, the colour of them and the chatter is quite distinctive. Get the odd Hawfinch too, seems a slow increase in numbers.?

Agreed some of the little brown jobs difficult.

Edited by old man