Bore snake with bronze brush?

Si-Bore

I have just taken delivery of the Hoppes Bore snake I ordered. Usually I clean my 12 bore with the soft end on my Bisley gun kit with some 009 and don't need to use the bronze brush at all. I have noticed that the bore snake has a bronze brush at the start to loosen any tough residue.

Basically what I want to know is does it cause any long term damage to the bore constantly using a bronze brush as part of the bore snake on every cleaning session (after every use in my case)?

Cheers

Si

In engineers speak. If one metal is harder than another then the weaker can only be damaged in this case its the bronze brush. If lead deposits are inside the barrel then the softer is the lead. So answering your question you could clean your barrels all day long and it wouldnt leave a scratch

• 1 month later...

I got one of these things to clean my .410 because my rods wouldn't fit down it. I was amazed how quickly the gun is cleaned, and it does a very good job too! Bronze is softer than steel (so can't cut into it) but harder than lead, that's why it's used. I'll be buying one for all my guns soon, they're great!

I got one of these things to clean my .410 because my rods wouldn't fit down it. I was amazed how quickly the gun is cleaned, and it does a very good job too! Bronze is softer than steel (so can't cut into it) but harder than lead, that's why it's used. I'll be buying one for all my guns soon, they're great!

Have a look on E*ay, I bought my Hoppes 12g bore from the States and paid £10 incl p&p and it took 2 weeks.

Simon

In engineers speak. If one metal is harder than another then the weaker can only be damaged in this case its the bronze brush. If lead deposits are inside the barrel then the softer is the lead. So answering your question you could clean your barrels all day long and it wouldnt leave a scratch

I don't own a bronze brush, but out of interset would love to see what happens if you scrub at a piece of steel with one.

Also would the brush not be picking up carbon which is abrasive. I'm sure some tiny scratches would occur over time.

Lets face it this would hardly affect a shotgun but a rifle barrel?

I don't own a bronze brush, but out of interset would love to see what happens if you scrub at a piece of steel with one.

Also would the brush not be picking up carbon which is abrasive. I'm sure some tiny scratches would occur over time.

Lets face it this would hardly affect a shotgun but a rifle barrel?

bronze doesn't mark the barrels at all w p

it'l mek a mess of yur didgeridoo though, :oops::lol:

Have to say I brought one and was abit sceptical at first, but it is amazing how clean the barrels are after one or two pulls through. My only complaint and it is a small one is that they need to make the pull string more user friendly as I have found that pulling through as the barrel gets tighter that the cord cuts into your hand (Delicate office boy hands you see). But otherwise once you have used it a few times, stick it in a pillow case and run through the washing machine on its own and it comes out nice and clean and fluffy ready for the next time you use it.

SS

Have to say I brought one and was abit sceptical at first, but it is amazing how clean the barrels are after one or two pulls through. My only complaint and it is a small one is that they need to make the pull string more user friendly as I have found that pulling through as the barrel gets tighter that the cord cuts into your hand (Delicate office boy hands you see). But otherwise once you have used it a few times, stick it in a pillow case and run through the washing machine on its own and it comes out nice and clean and fluffy ready for the next time you use it.

SS

drop the pull thro down the barrel and put your foot on it then lift the barrel easy

SS

drop the pull thro down the barrel and put your foot on it then lift the barrel easy

Hadn't thought of that. Will give that a try after tonights foray. Cheers P-P

SS