Manchester Clay Shooting Ground (New Layout)

KB1

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Went today after a couple of months away, and have to say they've done a great job of renovating the place:good:

Shot about 250 clays (cartridges actually) and boy oh boy could I feel it after………  I think I might try changing from 28g to 24g but not sure if I have to alter the lead to compensate for the slower shot?

• 4 weeks later...

Just love this place at the moment? (I'm not a Rep….Honest)

I just think that when clubs put in so much effort to improve our enjoyment, then they rightly deserve the accolades.  Every stand has had a revamp, and some are just so 'Moreish'….

I had shot quite well yesterday, until I got to Stand 6, brand new left to right & right to left low crossers with a fair pace on them.  I wasted about 20 cartridges trying to figure out the right amount of lead before I gave up and went for a cup of tea before putting my gun away.

As I was having my tea, Evan (One of the Instructors) was waiting for his next customers and I mentioned my Stand 6 dilemma…….  "Come on" he said, "lets have a look at what you're doing wrong"

I took a shot whilst he looked from behind, he adjusted my 'pick up point' and I was hitting them straight away after that?

I just love great customer service, and thats why I don't mind travelling the extra distance to this clay ground.

Hi everyone. 

Were new on here but would like to say hi ??  It’s great to hear all views on the club and hopefully I can answer any questions you have. 

I’m looking at updating people with events that we may be holding so that people are aware of clay shooting competitions that are up and coming. 

Thank you in advance 

Hi Gordon

Unfortunately it’s not a road but the farm track is done every fortnight to keep the pot holes to a minimum. Peel that own the land will not help to contribute so we do our absolute best to maintain it. 

We know it’s an ongoing issue and we will continue to maintain the track to the best of our ability  

Fingers crossed Peel with have a change of heart soon ??

Thank you 

I was there last week and its a lot better than it has been in the past:good:

PS. MCSC, your website is a bit misleading (at first glance) as it shows 3pm on Friday and Saturday whereas you close at 4pm:hmm:

Edited by KB1

Have to agree... it's around 2 miles long so would cost a bloody fortune to do it properly.  Can't see what's in it for Peel and can't imagine the other users would be keen to pay their share. Maybe get a few more shooters, or some might go more often, if MSC arranged for it to be done properly but I really don't see how it could be made to pay (and I suspect that those that can live with it "as is" probably wouldn't want to see clay prices increase)... just have to accept that if you have a really nice car then it's probably not going to be your first choice for a drive + shoot day out.

Despite the track, it's still the ground I shoot most often and it's really good to see the ongoing investment being made in facilities.  The staff deserve a positive mention too!

I shot there once a few years ago, enjoyable shoot but didn't like the fact that I had to hand over my sgc just to shoot !! so I've not been since. If this is no longer the case then I think a trip over will be taking place very soon.

Last time I went, I was asked for my credit card as security for the clay counter. I told them that only a simpleton would hand over a credit card. They seemed unaware of credit card cloning.

Too many negatives for me. Shocking approach road, jumping through hoops to get a clay counter and some less than helpful staff - one of whom insisted on pushing in front of us at one stand. I genuinely hope things have improved - they needed to.

On 26/06/2018 at 09:45, Gordon R said:

Last time I went, I was asked for my credit card as security for the clay counter. I told them that only a simpleton would hand over a credit card. They seemed unaware of credit card cloning.

Too many negatives for me. Shocking approach road, jumping through hoops to get a clay counter and some less than helpful staff - one of whom insisted on pushing in front of us at one stand. I genuinely hope things have improved - they needed to.

Wow, that makes them sound awful…….  Which in my humble opinion couldn't be further from the truth.

I was there today and there's nothing "shocking" about the approach road.

Non members being asked to leave some form of ID/Security (And they normally ask for SGC first) isn't the end of the world.  I'm a member and I got asked for sight of my SGC today when buying cartridges; bit of a **** on going back to the car, but I cant blame them for adhering to security protocols.

And the staff, well they couldn't be more helpful if they tried.  To be fair to MCSC they do have notices up on the intermediate/beginner stands stating that when using these stands, you will have to give way to Instructors giving tuition.

Maybe you should give them another try Gordon, I'm sure you'll enjoy the new layout (and friendly staff)?

PS.  The Cafe food is top notch:good:

They were awful - I trust they have improved. It is a couple of years since I last went - the road was shocking. As a newer member of Pigeonwatch, you will probably be unaware that a number of other shooters have previously commented on the approach road - none were so kind as yourself in describing it.

I had my attention drawn to the notice about giving way to instructors. I was unaware at that point and resented being told about it by a rather pompous instructor, with the social skills of an amoeba. We were taking a new shooter on the less difficult stands - he was less than impressed with how shooting instructors conducted themselves.

16 hours ago, Gordon R said:

They were awful - I trust they have improved. It is a couple of years since I last went - the road was shocking. As a newer member of Pigeonwatch, you will probably be unaware that a number of other shooters have previously commented on the approach road - none were so kind as yourself in describing it.

I had my attention drawn to the notice about giving way to instructors. I was unaware at that point and resented being told about it by a rather pompous instructor, with the social skills of an amoeba. We were taking a new shooter on the less difficult stands - he was less than impressed with how shooting instructors conducted themselves.

I didn't realise that coming up 3 years still counts as being 'New", but Hey Ho……..

Never the less, I did hear stories about the Grinch paying a visit one time:whistling:

I was there a few weeks ago and I have to say i was impressed with the changes. With regards to the road, I could not see much improvement BUT if you were to improve the surface it will only mean increased speed of some of the plonkers using it, to the detriment of all. As I was leaving the ground I picked up a little boy and 3 of his mates in a Vauxhall beginners car. He then proceeded to tailgate me for the entire length of the roadway back to the main road. I can recall that speeding cars was an issue some years ago and given the opportunity, it could well be the same again. This was after a spell of dry weather and even at 20mph the dust storm created was bad enough.  I was then met with a young girl driving into the farmyard at the start of the 'farm track', she was driving at a fair speed, too fast to be entering a farmyard. Problem is, at that point, the road has a good surface, having just come over the motorway bridge. Gordon, all I can say is that around the time you were last at Worsley, I was also an Instructor there. A lot of pressure was put on the Instructors to get the groups through, get back and take out the next group. It was one of the reasons I left. If all of the stands set aside for Instruction were in use, you were forced to use the compak layouts of stands 1 and 2, where the big boys play. This often caused a lot of friction. I am not defending the impolite actions of any Instructor, but merely trying to explain why.  I had more arguments over being 'late' getting back to the clubhouse because the next group were waiting, than enough.  My attitude was, they have ALL paid good money for an enjoyable experience and if I could make that experience as enjoyable as possible, then to hell with how long it takes !  Of course, the more you get through, the more that till rings !  On my last visit, I did notice that the stands 1 and 2 are still being used as an overspill area for Instructors, but they did give way to other shooters. My last experience of the ground was good, I have to say, however my visit in March was certainly not. So many trap breakdowns that 4 of us used up all of our card allowance, that meant by the time we got to the last stand, we ran out of credit and could not finish the 100 bird shoot. I complained and was offered more credit but it was too far to walk back just to finish the stand. Most grounds want some kind of deposit or a Certificate to ensure they get the plug/box/card back, so when I go to book on, I take my ticket with me. My only small gripe is the cost at Worsley, even the fibre wads rule is not an issue for me, but I can go to Catton Hall, using any wads and pay a fair bit less for 100 birds.  Running a ground of the size of Worsley is no small task, especially in such a remote location, so I tend to be a bit more tolerant of minor issues. These grounds are responsible for introducing many new shooters to our great sport,  I have given a lot of lessons to people who have fired their first shots at some Corporate event or other.

5 hours ago, Gordon R said:

I trust the Grinch found the food better. On our last visit, they couldn't even serve pie and peas, properly heated.

I honestly hope they have improved, as there was a whole lot needing attention. I am glad your experience has been better.

23 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Westley - I appreciate the explanation.

He obviously didn't :yay:

Give it another go sometime Gordon and I'm sure you'll see a difference for the better.

Much love?

On 16/05/2018 at 21:20, KB1 said:

Went today after a couple of months away, and have to say they've done a great job of renovating the place:good:

Shot about 250 clays (cartridges actually) and boy oh boy could I feel it after………  I think I might try changing from 28g to 24g but not sure if I have to alter the lead to compensate for the slower shot?

There's that sense of humour again.

What slower shot  ??????    

Edited by Westley