A strange year

ditchman

slow drive up to lingwood this morning..............

some fields are not sown yet.............some sugarbeet only just gone in...some sugarbeet an 1" high...rape all in flower and to top it all off Barley in ear.........

and i still have me winter draws on...

Drove back from the other side of Horncastle last evening and the roads littered with monster tractors bearing sowing machines for maize and grain, driving towny motorists mad because they had to tuck in behind at a steady 30-35mph. One such monster was 'controlled' by a wisp of a young lass who guided it expertly through traffic around the Newark byepass with one of these huge monster folding rotary prep machines on the back. She looked like a "tom tit on a round of beef" as my old grand daddy used to say.  Yep, everyhting is just pushed back a bit because of the wet conditions but it will catch up no problem ...been there many times before.

Had a call yesterday from the farm manager, peas going in in 3 different locations, can I check them out for any pigeon problems, so around tea time I jumped in the 4 x 4 and set off, 1 st field, seed on the surface with no disturbance in the area but not a bird in sight, 2nd location was the same so on to the last, a 50 acre field with a small wood right in the middle, two tractors still drilling and rolling, as I watched I could see birds in the wood nipping out to the freshly sewn areas , grabbing a few seeds then back into the trees, not huge numbers but looked like they couldn't wait to get started, so Its out with the gear tomorrow and have another look, lets hope there are a few more there to make it worthwhile.