Rats.

MattSirrell

liquidised cat food or peanut butter are great, they cant be dragged away and roland has to sit and trough in situe as it were :unsure:

also, dont know if your aware of it, but if you can get fairly close to him, try loaded your pellet backwards - has a similar effect to a hollow point bullet (splat) :good:

rather than putting a pellet in backwards and risking sodding up the rifling in ya barrel, why not just buy/use hollow point pellets????
This makes very good sense to me :unsure:

I've never heard of it doing any damage to the rifling of any barrel :oops:

it will however, cause far more damage to a rat at around 20 yrds than any hollow point pellet :good:

If anyone on here has done this in the past and as a result damaged their rifle then I invite them to let us all know, but like I said I've never heard of it and I know plenty of people who do it when getting shut of rats.

In fact I recall a recent thread regarding rats when someone else suggested the same tip :good:

I am willing to be proved wrong but how can a pellet be accurate when going bacwards?

From what I can tell, having done just a few accuracy tests the pellet is fairly accurate for short distances, maybe up to 20m, and after that the accuracy deteriorates.

That was using my S200 before I fitted a 10 shot adapter. I did not notice any ill effects to the barrel (it still produces almost 1 shot groupings - depending on me!). With the 10 shot adapter then it was very hard to seat the pellet with the pellet probe so I abandoned the idea.

Fortunately, but sadly, my neighbours budgies died and there have been no more rats for a year.

Karl

pellets are very accurately cast in the factory, therefore the rear of the pellet is very symetrical and will therefore be accurate. however, as the "skirt" produces more drag, the pellet will slow down more quickly and so will become less accurate with distance

liquidised cat food or peanut butter are great, they cant be dragged away and roland has to sit and trough in situe as it were :P

also, dont know if your aware of it, but if you can get fairly close to him, try loaded your pellet backwards - has a similar effect to a hollow point bullet (splat) :good:

Yes bud, I used to insert .22 hobby pellets in the way you have advised back in the 80,s with a fac H W 80, as you say up to 20 yards or so It was devasting on rabbits or woodies, but as others have said hollowpoint will do the same job, but for a one or two kill job just reverse the pellet.

I am willing to be proved wrong but how can a pellet be accurate when going bacwards?

From what I can tell, having done just a few accuracy tests the pellet is fairly accurate for short distances, maybe up to 20m, and after that the accuracy deteriorates.

That was using my S200 before I fitted a 10 shot adapter. I did not notice any ill effects to the barrel (it still produces almost 1 shot groupings - depending on me!). With the 10 shot adapter then it was very hard to seat the pellet with the pellet probe so I abandoned the idea.

Fortunately, but sadly, my neighbours budgies died and there have been no more rats for a year.

Karl

I stand corected.

You would be surprised ! I haven't tried it over long distance but it works well enough. It also wont harm the rifling of your barrel.

It works just as well with bullets too. I read recently that a famous American big game hunter Elmer Kieth experimented with several bullet types being fired backwards and several worked just as good. I think the boat tail type (might be wrong) was the best of the bunch and he shot several animals with the bullet fired backwards.

Leeboy

• 5 weeks later...

You would be surprised ! I haven't tried it over long distance but it works well enough. It also wont harm the rifling of your barrel.

It works just as well with bullets too. I read recently that a famous American big game hunter Elmer Kieth experimented with several bullet types being fired backwards and several worked just as good. I think the boat tail type (might be wrong) was the best of the bunch and he shot several animals with the bullet fired backwards.

Leeboy

How can a bullet be fired backwards what it the hammer supposed to hit

The hammer strikes the cartridge, the cartridge fires, the bullet in the front off the cartridge is expelled at high speed down the barrell towards the target!! .When they talk of putting the bullet in reversed they mean just the bullet head is reversed not the cartridge , some airgunners put the pellet in backwards as it acts as a dum-dum bullet at close range, usually up to 20 yards or so.