Cost of employing someone?

bluesj

22 hours ago, team tractor said:

I’ve had them ask for £25 an hour employed as a joiner . EMPLOYED... 

If you need joinery I pass your way monthly in the summer 👍

most  joiners around here are on £25 plus vat per Hr but they are self employed

Brickys are on £180-200 per day. stonemasons charge whatever we like depending on how interesting the work is ???

And then there is the tawt tax to be added depending on the customer ?

Edited by mowdy

16 minutes ago, bluesj said:

Yes its a government department!

We got a letter from them this morning regarding other work we do for them saying that we will now be charged for the compulsory inspection they carry out. Will be interesting to see what their mileage and hourly rates are!  

I was inspected recently and asked to sign a secrets act on designs.

i told them I’m not interested. I don’t need inspecting by someone that hasn’t a clue.

we supplied the M6 toll with £100,000 in  products with out one.

1 minute ago, mowdy said:

Brickys are on £180-200 per day. stonemasons charge whatever we like depending on how interesting the work is ???

Joiners or chippys ? Self employed is expected at that rate to be fair but employed it’s just not possible unless they are absolutely amazing but I’d have to charge £4-450 a day to cover them . 

8 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

You do work for them, but they’re going to charge you to come and have a look at it?! 

Plenty of people I know flatnout refuse to work for council or government contracts as they’re an absolute nightmare, and as no one actually owns anything they don’t really care how much they mess you about. 

That’s because of 120 day accounts .

who can wait 4 months to get paid when suppliers need paying in 30 days . 

32 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

You do work for them, but they’re going to charge you to come and have a look at it?! 

Plenty of people I know flatnout refuse to work for council or government contracts as they’re an absolute nightmare, and as no one actually owns anything they don’t really care how much they mess you about. 

But it gets better than that! Wwe do part of a particular job for them they do the rest and pay us for our bit we do, but they are looking in to charging us for the bit they do therefore passing the cost down the line so it will end up that we have to charge our customer for a service that is compulsory our customers have no chose in it and could end up inside if they do not get it done, we have no chose in it we could end up inside if we don't do it and they want to charge us for the privilege 🙄.

Its a bit like them being poacher and gamekeeper rolled in to one. They make the rules then you pay them to check that you are keeping to them but they don't always know what the rules they made are!

We had then call us for information as to how a job we had just done for then should be done  so they could relay the info to contractor in other areas and in the same conversation told us that we would need a licence to do the job! We only got the job because the people that started it and had the licenses had been dangerous. and by law we don't need a license.  

1 hour ago, bluesj said:

We had then call us for information as to how a job we had just done for then should be done  so they could relay the info to contractor in other areas and in the same conversation told us that we would need a licence to do the job! We only got the job because the people that started it and had the licenses had been dangerous. and by law we don't need a license.  

I hope you didn’t tell them, it’s like asking you to give up all the details so they can then get someone else in to do the job for cheaper. 

That bloke that lodges with me does scans of machines on oil rigs, he won’t give up any of his plans or diagrams of how to complete each job just right. 

They always have to have him back for future jobs because no one else knows how to do it. 

2 hours ago, mowdy said:

Brickys are on £180-200 per day. stonemasons charge whatever we like depending on how interesting the work is

And then there is the tawt tax to be added depending on the customer ?

Bricklayers around my area are earning 15 to 18hundred a week for five days. And to be honest they are not breaking into a sweat for it either. They have to be good though. Their labourers are on 120+ a day. You sir are getting a bargain if they are good. 

6 hours ago, bostonmick said:

Bricklayers around my area are earning 15 to 18hundred a week for five days. And to be honest they are not breaking into a sweat for it either. They have to be good though. Their labourers are on 120+ a day. You sir are getting a bargain if they are good. 

Don't know what brickies get around here but I know if we ever need to get quote for any thing it all ways think of a number double it the ad the date.

7 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

I hope you didn’t tell them, it’s like asking you to give up all the details so they can then get someone else in to do the job for cheaper. 

That bloke that lodges with me does scans of machines on oil rigs, he won’t give up any of his plans or diagrams of how to complete each job just right. 

They always have to have him back for future jobs because no one else knows how to do it. 

I can only think of 2 trade secrets, you can learn all the technical bits about the job with a quick google search.