First time in a while

Clodhopper

No I know this is not strictly Wildfowling but this seemed the best section to put it in. I 

Today was the first time I have been out to flight duck in many years. I spent my youth sitting on marsh drains flighting teal and mallard at dusk and under the moon but due to my permission being sold  and married life this has given way to other sporting activities.

I was very excited about this evening as we had fed a little pond on the farm for a while and suspected we had a few birds coming in. With a good moon and a bit of cloud my cousin and I decided to give it a go. On arrival I flushed a teal from the pond which my cousin dropped. I then managed to shoot a pair of rats as they scuttled along the bank. These  were followed by a rabbit flushed by the spaniel as we made our way to our positions. All good so far.

Dusk came and so did a pair of mallard wobbling side to side as they came in, both missed. The large moon broke above the wold land to the east and lit up another pair coming in, same line and movement, same result 2 shots 2 missed. Repeat for the next pair. I just could not judge range and line of flight, I had forgotten how to do it. 

Next in were a bunch of teal this time one was dropped but alas not to my gun, I registered another double miss. Don’t really like to admit it but I was struggling with something that was second nature to me not that many years ago.

The highlight of the evening were the 2 water retrieves by the spaniel, a first for him,who has primarily been my wife’s beating dog but has now been promoted since I lost my lab.

Despite the rubbish shooting it was great to be out again chasing ducks.

Thanks for reading.

1 hour ago, Clodhopper said:

No I know this is not strictly Wildfowling but this seemed the best section to put it in. I 

Today was the first time I have been out to flight duck in many years. I spent my youth sitting on marsh drains flighting teal and mallard at dusk and under the moon but due to my permission being sold  and married life this has given way to other sporting activities.

I was very excited about this evening as we had fed a little pond on the farm for a while and suspected we had a few birds coming in. With a good moon and a bit of cloud my cousin and I decided to give it a go. On arrival I flushed a teal from the pond which my cousin dropped. I then managed to shoot a pair of rats as they scuttled along the bank. These  were followed by a rabbit flushed by the spaniel as we made our way to our positions. All good so far.

Dusk came and so did a pair of mallard wobbling side to side as they came in, both missed. The large moon broke above the wold land to the east and lit up another pair coming in, same line and movement, same result 2 shots 2 missed. Repeat for the next pair. I just could not judge range and line of flight, I had forgotten how to do it. 

Next in were a bunch of teal this time one was dropped but alas not to my gun, I registered another double miss. Don’t really like to admit it but I was struggling with something that was second nature to me not that many years ago.

The highlight of the evening were the 2 water retrieves by the spaniel, a first for him,who has primarily been my wife’s beating dog but has now been promoted since I lost my lab.

Despite the rubbish shooting it was great to be out again chasing ducks.

Thanks for reading.

Good honest write up, this is why we do it.....you will be thinking about it ....and the next flight as you go to sleep tonight....

It happens I've been out and three ducksfir three shots. Next time plenty of shots and never touched a feather. 

If you don't read them right your stuffed, trying to hard is usually the culprit, relax and just shoot them it soon comes natural again.

Edited by figgy