The Essex Challenge

Bagsy

Taking place on August 27th - bank holiday Monday and sounds like it's worth a crack. 100 sporting, 30 squid, turn up on the day, not squadded. I was going to shoot at Purleigh Wood that day but that's been cancelled until sept (maybe because of this shoot?).

Anyone shot at Hepworth Hall before? Will I be able to hit anything? Is there a lake to chuck the gun in if I don't :good:

I'd be up for this.

Good targets at Hepworth, shot 200 there @ Essex masters and have to say it wasn't that bad. Some very deceptive stuff set by Mr Dyson, stuff you think "geez that's a dinner plate on the end of the barrel" and you miss them all, and watch a seriously good A class shooter fail to touch :good:

Would pay good money to shoot targets like that again :good:

Edit: several water features in which to throw shooting bat, should you require!

I'd be up for this.

Good targets at Hepworth, shot 200 there @ Essex masters and have to say it wasn't that bad. Some very deceptive stuff set by Mr Dyson, stuff you think "geez that's a dinner plate on the end of the barrel" and you miss them all, and watch a seriously good A class shooter fail to touch :good:

Edit: several water features in which to throw shooting bat, should you require!

Don't forget you may be nursing a mega hangover from your surprise win at the British Open the previous week..!!

It will be a damn good shoot, as usual at Hepworth Hall, I may get there, won't make my mind up till nearer the date.

Cat.

I'd be up for this.

Don't forget you may be nursing a mega hangover from your surprise win at the British Open the previous week..!!

It will be a damn good shoot, as usual at Hepworth Hall, I may get there, won't make my mind up till nearer the date.

Cat.

Previous Week? hang on! when exactly is the British Open? I thought it was that weekend. Have I got my dates mixed up again :good:

Win, open, British, lol :good:

Mind, it would be nice, might get sponsorship out of that :good:

British Open is 23rd - 26th August, This is on the 27th which is the Monday so depending on if you count Sunday or Monday as the first day of the week it might be the week after :good:

• 1 month later...

I may well be doing this one now, If I do go I'll make an early start to beat the crowds and the traffic and will be there before 9am.

It will be a damn good shoot, lots of tricky targets, (just like the British..!!)

Hope to see other PW members there..??

Cat

I am shooting in a team event tomorrow somewhere around Blackmore. Apparently it's all hush hush and only recently been announced to stop the locals getting it shut down. I should be wrapped up by midday and may Mungle over to Hepworth Hall that is unless I am threatened with divorce.

I'll be going with a couple of others - if we can find the place ???

Oh my goodness................if you've never shot Hepworth Hall before, you are in for one hell of an experience..........enough said, see you tomorrow bright & early, I'm the tall ugly looking one shooting a little 28" ancient Beretta 682..!!

Cat

I'll be going with a couple of others - if we can find the place :good:

Oh my goodness................if you've never shot Hepworth Hall before, you are in for one hell of an experience..........enough said, see you tomorrow bright & early, I'm the tall ugly looking one shooting a little 28" ancient Beretta 682..!!

Cat

In at the deep end as they say ??? We've never shot any 'proper' competition before so this will be some experience! We won't be there until about 10.30ish but if you see a 6'3 guy wearing a green Musto vest crying into his score card then that'll be me!!

Well, for our first attempt at a decent shoot I thought we all done quite well finishing on 67, 61 and 59 (I shot 61). Good variety of different targets and I thought the setting was spot on! Gun didn't end up in the lake but the option was there if needed ??? Two stands from the end I noticed I had unwittingly used a box of 9's which I'm sure cost me a couple of targets but my fault for not checking properly.

Bumped into Cat who had just finished as we arrived and had what I thought was a fantastic score - well done! Was nice to meet you and put a face to the name and thanks on the advice on where to start - we needed all the help we could get :good: Not sure what the highest score was but I'm sure Cat must be up there amongst them.

Will try and get round more shoots for the variety and who knows, may even enter the Essex Masters next year and see if I can withstand a 200 birder......

Just got back from shooting this with garyb (cheers for driving fella).

Good layout with a good mix of targets, some deceptive slow close stuff which I am learning is a bit of a trademark of Mr Dyson. The layout had some very similar birds to the British.

I shot a disappointing 69, should have been 10 more easily. Completely failed to find the easy battue on stand 9 ??? Other than that I was hitting everything first pair, generally second and and third too, then just missing for silly reasons.

I think I have run out of natural ability, I need a lesson or two :good:

I shot the Glen Defraitas Essex jobby (some field in Blackmore) today with Bazza (Evil Elvis).

Scored 72/100 and again, missed every battuesque type target.

My scorecard was mainly sixes, sevens and eights out of eight save for the 1/8 scored for the battue (stand 7) and some other bomb out on similar target.

I think high gun was 90/100 to Scott Greenfield.

Sort of pleased but still hacked off with missing the battue. I have worked out that if I could get just "half" of the battue targets I am currently completely missing I could stick an extra 8 points on a round and yes, if I had come away today on 80 (or 70+ from High Lodge) I would have been chuffed to bits.

I feel a lesson coming on.

I've decided I've got to work on my mental attitude (which is ****). I can shoot quite well, but my attitude stinks, I'll get a moody on (with myself) if I do a silly miss and that will cost me several more dropped shots before I snap myself out of it.

I'm finding it very hard, though, I'm learning that I'm not a very positive-thinking person. I'm starting to believe that this has a lot do do with success or otherwise at clay shooting. :good:

I don't know whether a tutor can help with stuff like that or whether it's just something I've got to sort out myself. ??? :(

I've decided I've got to work on my mental attitude (which is ****). I can shoot quite well, but my attitude stinks, I'll get a moody on (with myself) if I do a silly miss and that will cost me several more dropped shots before I snap myself out of it.

I'm finding it very hard, though, I'm learning that I'm not a very positive-thinking person. I'm starting to believe that this has a lot do do with success or otherwise at clay shooting. :good:

I don't know whether a tutor can help with stuff like that or whether it's just something I've got to sort out myself. ??? :(

Too true, too true.

It's all in the head - if you have a bogey target then odds on with your mind in flux you will miss.

If you can hit the first pair then you can hit the rest?

It's all mental.

Have to agree with that, every time I miss one or two it's all down hill from there - hit the first couple of pairs then miss one, attitude kicks in and I miss the rest. I also have an issue with concentration - how can I hit nine then miss No. 10 :good:

I shot at Catton Hall today, and had a terrible example of my negative attitude. Last time I shot there, I had a bad score on stand 7, which is not particularly difficult at all, just a very dark, heavily wooded backdrop and slightly downhill into a valley. Today, I approached stand 7, remembering my last performance :good: and took the stand, already having subconsciously decided that I was going to screw up. Guess what ??? I got 1/7 - unbelievable. My mates were all gawking at me when I walked off the stand, asking what had happened :(

Ridiculous.

Agree with all said, but I also think I may have a few little faults which are costing me a target a stand, as well as just not having shot enough competitive targets.

I can't be too annoyed, I am only 14 months into shooting clays and 6 months into competitive shooting. Technically the 69 today should have been my best registered score so far, well it was, but yet I am still annoyed. Having only shot like 6 registered shoots, perhaps I shouldn't be so hard on myself :good:

I think I just want to run before I can walk, I will take a lesson once I know who to see and take it from there.

(Edit: English would be best score so far @ 76ex100) Not that it makes much difference, still a load of room for improvement ???

Well done mung!

Need to get some steering off those in the know who to turn to for a lesson, anyone have any recommendations?

Pin - Roger Hill is very good and works out of Essex Shooting ground. Qualified to teach all levels (he's prepping a hopeful for the Olympics at the moment). He has a web site HERE. He's about to have a series of articles published in Clay Shooting mag which may be worth a read also.

Edit - His new web site is Here and has a lot more info.