The Essex Challenge

Bagsy

Well Pin,

I've done quite a few 69's in my time, :good:??? :( , they taste good, so don't feel too bad about it Matey.

Over the years I've found that the guys that succeed in this game are those that travel to different grounds week after week to shoot different targets, it may sound obvious but the more varied targets you can get at other grounds, so much the better.

Those that shoot week after week at Broomhills and reckon they can shoot clays are in for a rude awakening at somewhere like Hepworth Hall.

Anyway, I'm sure that both you and GaryB learned a lot from it, I was pleased to meet up with Bagsy, another potential champion in the making, he certainly didn't disgrace himself over what was a very tough layout, so don't be too hard on yourselves fellas.

As regards coaching, Roger Hill is a very well known and competent coach, the only other guy I would recommend is Nathan Dudley, who now coaches at Holland & Hollands in Northwood, I wouldn't get too much into the coaching scene, having seen you shoot I know you've got the basics well in place, just keep on shooting and learning as much as you can, shoot plenty of skeet to keep the swing going, and you won't go far wrong.

Cheers,

Cat

Over the years I've found that the guys that succeed in this game are those that travel to different grounds week after week to shoot different targets, it may sound obvious but the more varied targets you can get at other grounds, so much the better.

Those that shoot week after week at Broomhills and reckon they can shoot clays are in for a rude awakening at somewhere like Hepworth Hall.

I've got to agree with that. I shoot at Worsley, Manchester, which if anybody knows it, is not the easiest ground. I do reasonably well there, usually 73-83/100. But it only takes a shift to Catton Hall, like today, and I'm lost :lol: 58/100 :good:

I think I just get used to Worsley targets, even if they tweak them and vary them a bit, I think I'm just getting familiar with them. Catton threw me completely today - I must get out more ??? :( :lol:

I have been at this 18 months and have shot a grand total of two registered shoots. My scores haven't been that bad and I am aware that it is getting the basic stuff right that clocks up a minimum requirement of "points". Missing a sitter that everyone else in your class will and ought to shoot means that to make the point back up you have to shoot something difficult which no one in your class is likely to break. Don't knock the local hay bale shoot, I reckon they are a great foundation to gettting the bread and butter stuff safe. That being said, yes, seeing more grounds and experiencing more targets will mean the difference between a higher and a lower classification. I intend to find a new local hay bale shoot that can provide more battues and loopers and will see where I go from there :good:

Mungler,

Come shooting at some of the "Hay Bale" shoots that I do, Battues and loopers a plenty.

I agree that the likes of hepworth hall are good becuse they are testing targets but you also need to be able to walk before you run. The local club shoots will always be a good foundation as long as they are not the same birds every week. The two I mainly shoot at are always vareid and you never shoot the same bird twice, sometimes similar but never the same.

Colchester Garrison is a very good shoot for honing the skills, it is set up to be hard for the AAA shooter, and has some very testing clays. They shoot every third sunday and do a 50 bird shoot. Every so often they put on a 100 bird shoot.

The 2 tuesday night shoots I do all tend to have similar clays, but I find good for practise.

Cat, Pin & I were saying exactly that... Unfortunately Broomhills is very local to me. So it's a bit convenient just to pop over there for an afternoon.

I do try and get down to cupids for some Thursday skeet, but I think we are a bit stuck for local grounds that have the quality similar to Hepworth Hall.

Mungler,

Come shooting at some of the "Hay Bale" shoots that I do, Battues and loopers a plenty.

I agree that the likes of hepworth hall are good becuse they are testing targets but you also need to be able to walk before you run. The local club shoots will always be a good foundation as long as they are not the same birds every week. The two I mainly shoot at are always vareid and you never shoot the same bird twice, sometimes similar but never the same.

Colchester Garrison is a very good shoot for honing the skills, it is set up to be hard for the AAA shooter, and has some very testing clays. They shoot every third sunday and do a 50 bird shoot. Every so often they put on a 100 bird shoot.

The 2 tuesday night shoots I do all tend to have similar clays, but I find good for practise.

You're on, when's the next one then?

Tonight :good:

The next tollesbury wildfowlers shoot is on the 16th september at 10AM, then there is one on the 7th and 14th october.

The Beckingham bell PH have an interesting shoot on the last sunday of the month at 10AM, I won't be at the next one but you are more than welcome at either of them.

Okay what time and where to meet up (idiot proof directions or sat nav co-ordinates most welcome).

The time to meet up there would be 6pm. It is at Radcliffes shooting ground. Give me a ring or Mc for directions as idiot proff or not if you have not been there before, you will miss the turning. Very easy to do so believe me.

It also depends which way you will be coming from. If from Colchester it self or from Tiptree Five Lakes area.

SS

Well I suppose it has to be said, mungler did shoot better than me tonight, even with the old basildon tyre lever that someone on here passed off as a shotgun. :lol:

That said, I did have a shoot with it and it wasn't that bad.

In my defence I was shooting my extrema which I have never shot that great with and is normally only ever used on the marsh.

And we were chooping and changing guns, and shooting from the hip Hey SS :lol:

There is another one next tuesday if you fancy a rematch :oops::lol:

I know, I know I still missed with the shot from the hip. I shot totally pants last night, over the top on the majority of them. Like MC I had my semi out as a prelude for the start of the wildfowling season, and definately didn't improve from the shoot I had on Saturday either.

I have to say I had a go with Munglers Basildon special, and shot well with it, nice pointability and sight picture for a side by side was actually really good in comparison to mine and others i have shot.

Have to say MC I know you haven't used it for a while, but you only dropped a couple more than Mungler, and you like me missed the supposedly easiest bird of the night the driven??? I swear Mungler was using the force behind us whilst we were in the cage.

Have to ask this, but does anyone else have a bit of a mental block when using a semi auto in a cage trap. I just can't take my mind off the cartridge ejecting and pinging back off the cage. Mungler thought I was the pinball wizard on one of the stands.

Good craic though lads.

Cheers

SS

Erm, you can make your excuses....

Next week the re-match and I trust that you will be bringing your preferred gun of choice, your preferred cartridges of choice, your prescription glasses (please bring sunglasses in the event of a sun excuse, I mean sunny spell), your preferred doctors certificate verifying your excuse (coughs) I mean ailment of choice.... of yes and of course you will require a fresh supply of Thompson Locals.

I shall bring my SBS, a bag full of Eley number 8's and of course a large can of whoop ***.

I hope to be there (Just found out we might have syndicate meeting that night??), but otherwise O/U and Eley Olympic Trap in 7.5's or 9's (dependant on what I have in the cupboard), no hat , no sun, no thompson local, no ailments, doctors certificate's etc. etc. etc.

Should deffo do better than last night. Still good shooting with the SBS regardless Mungler. I bow before the Pimpmeister and his basildon special. Fnahh Fnahh :oops:

SS

OK,

Bring it all on and do your best, I am afraid that my usual gun/cartridge combo and local knowledge we see me crowned as supreme.

Mungler you will be crowned Essex pimpmeister with his bank gun,

And the less said about Suffolkshooter the better. :oops::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: