Noise

steve_b_wales

For the past 8-9 months, I was getting a whining noise coming from the rear of my Freelander 2. The tyres on it were General Grabber AT2's and had been on there for approx 3 years, with an average 7500 miles per year. There was still good tread on them and my vehicle recently flew through it's MOT. I was advised to change the tyres, as these were more than likely causing the problem. Somewhat reluctantly, I bought two General Grabber AT3's and the noise has now vanished. Apparantly, according to the tyre fitter, the noise is caused by the Sipes in the tyres, which, when worn down, cause the noise.

8 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

For the past 8-9 months, I was getting a whining noise coming from the rear of my Freelander 2. The tyres on it were General Grabber AT2's and had been on there for approx 3 years, with an average 7500 miles per year. There was still good tread on them and my vehicle recently flew through it's MOT. I was advised to change the tyres, as these were more than likely causing the problem. Somewhat reluctantly, I bought two General Grabber AT3's and the noise has now vanished. Apparantly, according to the tyre fitter, the noise is caused by the Sipes in the tyres, which, when worn down, cause the noise.

Ever since I can remember, I have been getting a whining noise from the passenger seat of whichever car I have happened to own at the time, for the last 30 odd years anyway. :whistling:

1 minute ago, Old Boggy said:

Ever since I can remember, I have been getting a whining noise from the passenger seat of whichever car I have happened to own at the time, for the last 30 odd years anyway. :whistling:

After she reads the above, I confidently predict that either the volume will double or your 30 year driving record will suddenly end due to a pickaxe being buried in your skull. 😁

1 hour ago, amateur said:

After she reads the above, I confidently predict that either the volume will double or your 30 year driving record will suddenly end due to a pickaxe being buried in your skull. 😁

Very fortunately (for me), she does not read any of the posts on PW. I love her to bits really, but she can't half talk. :unhappy:

11 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

I had the same on a VW golf, I thought a beating had gone, but again it was the tyres. A colleague at work replaced the wheel bearings on his Octavia, however again it was the tyres. 

18 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Try Coopers and you will be glad of the AT2's. Cuts all conversation in my Land Rover but there are very few places I cannot get.

Interesting point though on the AT2s. 

It was only when the AT2's had worn down, that the whining noise started. I did have some road noise when I changed the original Goodyear Wranglers to AT2's, but not the whining noise that I had later on.