Tikka knocks another :)

tikkamark

Went out for an hour last night with a mate of mine to try a spot that i have not tried since last year to try keep numbers in check.Not the greatest of nights for it (very bright moon out)and not a breath of wind but foxy still has to feed ??? We walked in a couple of fields and seen nothing because grass was a bit long.Eventually got to a high spot overlooking a boggy patch and seen a wary fox making her way in the opposite direction :yes: got down fairly lively and followed her in the scope then she stopped and looked back one last time,i took my time lookin at the backstop just to make sure shot was safe then put crosshair on its neck and squeezed.......thump you cant beat it :lol: didnt take a pic as i totally forgot that time and had the tail cut :o :huh: she was 130yrds out.Second fox we got was no more than 200yrds away from the spot where i got the first we played a call and in it comes like a train to about 70 yrds so i settled down and fired at the centre of its chest and dropped her it was a young vixon american eagle 50grn did the trick very well on both foxes here is the second fox

tikkacub.jpg

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"fired at the centre of its chest and dropped him it was a young vixon "

Was it a tranny Mark?:):huh:??? :o only kidding ..well done to you :lol:

Well done to you also Tulky :yes:

Been busy with the pheasant pens,birds are in now so you,ve both inspired me to get out tonight.Had a couple of brief sorties but not really got onto any.

Keep at em!!!

GH

"fired at the centre of its chest and dropped him it was a young vixon "

Was it a tranny Mark???? ??? :o :) only kidding ..well done to you :yes:

GH

Thanks for pointing that out grasshopper :lol: was a bit tired writing that.Tallyuk that makes a lot of sense alright im starting to prefer going out on the windless nights as the foxes dont just want to get wind of you the whole time and im a lot more confident at the longer shots on a still night :huh:

great shooting what twist is your tikka , would you reccomend it :lol:

She is a 1:8 twist my gun tends to shoot all different makes of rounds slightly differently so you have to re-zero to allow for this but once this is done its VERY accurate for a factory gun with nothing done to the barrel :yes:

:lol::) I knew you would be out that night, had this feeling like, after our mornings ferreting. ???:yes:

Great shooting. :huh:

Frank.

Cheers frank ??? i had to give it a go my trigger finger was getting itchy :o Do you know do foxes ever be active at first light i have week off so i might try going out early to see if anything is stirring or would it be a waste of time have you ever tried this frank?

Thanks for pointing that out grasshopper :lol: was a bit tired writing that.Tallyuk that makes a lot of sense alright im starting to prefer going out on the windless nights as the foxes dont just want to get wind of you the whole time and im a lot more confident at the longer shots on a still night :yes:

Those calm nights are great for them not being able to wind ya, caller works best those nights I find cos they have to come right into ya.

First light sorties are really good,brilliant for calling them in,especially if you find one that hasn,t fed too well during the night...can take some stopping.Only drawback we seem to find is that theres a small window of oppertunity,say 30mins after first light then they don,t seem to appear.Definately worth getting up for.Oh and take a shotty if you,ve got 1 as you,ll be surprised just how close you can get them in.

GH

:lol::D I knew you would be out that night, had this feeling like, after our mornings ferreting. :D:yes:

Great shooting. :huh:

Frank.

Cheers frank ??? i had to give it a go my trigger finger was getting itchy ??? Do you know do foxes ever be active at first light i have week off so i might try going out early to see if anything is stirring or would it be a waste of time have you ever tried this frank?

On nights like these Mark, their deadly. :o

Get yourself comfartable, on them their hills we were at yeaterday, an hour before dark and wait. The win bushes are good to have behind you. ;)

The best of luck :)

Let me know how you get on. :)

Frank.

First light sorties are really good,brilliant for calling them in,especially if you find one that hasn,t fed too well during the night...can take some stopping.Only drawback we seem to find is that theres a small window of oppertunity,say 30mins after first light then they don,t seem to appear.Definately worth getting up for.Oh and take a shotty if you,ve got 1 as you,ll be surprised just how close you can get them in.

GH

I will give that a go grasshopper you obviously got one or to that way i know a spot where there is a lot af lamp shy foxes with a nice big hill overlooking it might try it first thing tomorrow :yes: I will bring shotgun with me as the mags and grey crows are handy got first thing in morn :lol:

Hello all i have not been here for a bit lately just a bit busy :blink: but i thought id share these pics of the vixon i shot on thursday during the day,i got a call from a shooting mate of mine to tell me that a fox had taken two ducks from his grans yard during the day she is fairly elderly and was very :good: i am on my hols from work at the mo so said id try my best to sort the suspect out.I drove out to his grans with my tikka she told me the fox was back again and she had tried to scare it out of the yard as the poultry was out the fox brazenly just trotted off up the field out the back.I set off in the direction the fox had went earlier on in the hope that it would be out i went in a good few fields to a hilly silage field i was just coming over a rise and froze in my tracks...foxy was only 30yrds away but didnt see a bit of me but she slowly but surely made her way over the next rise just wouldnt stop for a shot :D i didnt want to rush her so left her continue into next field at her own lesure.I follow her in and spotted her in a hollow licking her paws in front of the trees in the left of photo i crawled foward for a shot my heart pounding in my chest :) i finally settled crosshair center of chest and squeezed.....thump :o lights out at 145yrds american eagle passed straight through and exited near rear leg (look closely at pic and you will see)it was a very big vixon with some impressive teeth and unusual amount of white spots on her coat :) mates gran was well impressed cups of tea all round ???

Nicevixon.jpg

Fangs.jpg