Looks promising

henry d

I`ve been passing a rape field on the way to work that has just been cut and yesterday I made up some new cards as my old ones are a little dog-eared. I got a shirt and decent jeans on and went to the nearest farm and asked about the pigeons and was told to see the "Estate Manager", my heart slumped thinking that would be a straight NO ! However I found him eventually and introduced myself and gave my pitch. He listened and said that he had 2 guys who shoot here :Pbut he hadn`t seen either for a while and one guys wife was due to give birth soon so he thought that he would see even less of him :)

I only went to get a crack at the pigeon, but apparently they have a rabbit problem, boy do they have a rabbit problem, and by the way he was talking it would include these too. It`s not a definate YES but it looks good.

Too all of you who haven`t got land or only little bits, just keep trying and get the little things right, look smart and be polite, have all the relevant documents with you and business cards too. Lats of all a wee bit of luck and a bit of observation go a long way. Best of luck guys.

Your spot on henry , how you present yourself to anyone you are meeting for the first time is so important . Good shooting on your newly acquired land :) .

Trouble is I think as we all get older we find it actually harder to ask and when you do, the response to you from landowners is different. When I was in my teens and chasing shooting I always found 9/10 times a friendly response even if it was a no (which was very rarely).

Does anyone agree with this statement?

Or am I being cynical in my middle age?

Your spot on henry , how you present yourself to anyone you are meeting for the first time is so important . Good shooting on your newly acquired land :lol: .

Trouble is I think as we all get older we find it actually harder to ask and when you do, the response to you from landowners is different. When I was in my teens and chasing shooting I always found 9/10 times a friendly response even if it was a no (which was very rarely).

Does anyone agree with this statement?

Or am I being cynical in my middle age?

:rolleyes: I think we lack the enthusiasm of the young Starlight :lol:

My heart sinks when the farmer says something along the lines of 'let me know when you see a lot' as this means stalking his land with only a chance of a result.

I was driving home the other day and there was a field of laid wheat that was getting truelly hammered.

I found the farm and knocked opn the door and waited for what is usually the "long wait" before the farmer gets up and answers.

Now I usually use this couple of minutes to practice the speech, you know the one, and as a consequence I will sometimes shut the eyes and play out the conversation. In this instance though I didnt hear farmer open the door and did not notice him standing watching me mumbling away with the eyes shut looking for al creation like an escaped religious lunatic. When the peepers were opened by yours truly I jumped about a foot of the floor with a yell that probably cleared the birds off anyway and and shreiked an escaped expletive or two. Anyway i gibbered like gibbon with touretes for a minute or two before leaving.

Its not looking good really.

JDF

P.s good luck H