Ringing birds... The wild beaked kind

washerboy

My father has done this for 50+ years, and has been a trainer himself for over 30 years. I was never too interested as i resented all the holidays we went on as a child being a thinly veiled excuse for him to ring in different parts of the country. Hell, he even had a net up in the garden this very morning (no surprises, he caught a Robin).

Even so, it is a fascinating hobby for him and through it I have had the pleasure of seeing (and sometimes holding) some really rare and unusual species. He's never had a problem squaring his love of shooting and his love of ringing together. The BTO as an organisation are broadly supportive of shooting, and plenty of ringers shoot. A lot of their recovered rings come from shooters. 

He's always on the lookout for new trainees if anyone in the Norfolk area is interested. 

I started out as a birdwatcher and ringer in the mid 1960`s and continued with it for some time after I graduated to wildfowling in 1972. For some years I held the black powder licence for the local ringing groups cannon nets. As a punt gunner that was a natural progression.

Most bird ringers will freely admit that ringing is about as close to a field sport as one can get and often describe it as "subliminal hunting".

The skills and the mind set required are the same, as are the sentiments experienced with sucess or failure. The difference being that the birds are released and not killed and eaten.

There is almost no difference emotionally between the fowler with his hand on the trigger lanyard of a punt gun and the ringer with his finger on the firing switch of a cannon net. The hand of the novice on either will tremble for the self same reasons.

38 minutes ago, adzyvilla said:

My father has done this for 50+ years, and has been a trainer himself for over 30 years. I was never too interested as i resented all the holidays we went on as a child being a thinly veiled excuse for him to ring in different parts of the country. Hell, he even had a net up in the garden this very morning (no surprises, he caught a Robin).

Even so, it is a fascinating hobby for him and through it I have had the pleasure of seeing (and sometimes holding) some really rare and unusual species. He's never had a problem squaring his love of shooting and his love of ringing together. The BTO as an organisation are broadly supportive of shooting, and plenty of ringers shoot. A lot of their recovered rings come from shooters. 

He's always on the lookout for new trainees if anyone in the Norfolk area is interested. 

If only you was nearer.. Yes this time it's true, I would love to do it 

3 hours ago, adzyvilla said:

What part of Norfolk is he from?

Since I've been off shooting I've taken more of an interest in watching the song birds etc,  got a feeder set up within view of the sofa, so far I seem to attract up to half a dozen blue tits, then one robin comes and pushes them all off 😂

Ringing could be the next step up to keep me occupied.

39 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

What part of Norfolk is he from?

Since I've been off shooting I've taken more of an interest in watching the song birds etc,  got a feeder set up within view of the sofa, so far I seem to attract up to half a dozen blue tits, then one robin comes and pushes them all off 😂

Ringing could be the next step up to keep me occupied.

Between Fakenham and Dereham. 

Edited by adzyvilla