Walking stick

6 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, many years ago while browsing around Arundel in West Sussex I came across a stick shop  , there were 100s if not more of every description, not sure if it is still there but worth checking out

Unfortunately that shop is no longer there as the owner retired, probably only about two or three years ago. I did inquire as to what happened to the extensive stock but didn`t get too far with that. 

OB

6 hours ago, Diver One said:

I just got a tin with Danish oil,written on it😂

Cut any buds /rough bits off shank with sharp knife

rub down lightly with about 400

wipe dust off

apply two coats diluted with a bit of white spirit. I've tried with a lint free cloth or paint brush. Doesn't seem to make much difference 

0000 wire wool lightly

another 3/4 coats undiluted with 0000 wire wool between coats

Good advice, thank you.

I`ve just started using Danish oil and am well pleased with the finish over and above varnish.

Also, read somewhere about rubbing down hazel to reveal the `underbark` and have found that it certainly can produce some nice grain.

OB

3 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Unfortunately that shop is no longer there as the owner retired, probably only about two or three years ago. I did inquire as to what happened to the extensive stock but didn`t get too far with that. 

OB

Hello, thanks I did think it would be, had lots of interesting walking sticks including poachers type

A few of the sticks that I`ve made and retained so far.

The WAGBI one will be going after lockdown to a pal and the one with the 60 million year old sharks tooth, collected by yours truly, will be going to a farmer friend who is interested in fossils. I did not make the carved one which is on a bog oak shaft dredged from the Cambridgeshire fens.

Yet to try an angled joint which should be interesting as my skills are nowhere near the like of Boo and Stymo on here, but I`ll be having a go.

OB

Not quite sure why there are two images shown. My technical skills are much on a par with my stickmaking :whistling:

So if anyone can tell me how to omit one photo, I`ll be most appreciative.

Sticks_1-06-20_008.jpg.10974691c7461ebfc6007f3318f100bf.jpgSticks_1-06-20_008.jpg.10974691c7461ebfc6007f3318f100bf.jpg

Another one I did for a neighbourSticks_1-06-20_002.jpg.108e172972f9634ca975b85c12bee51b.jpg

Your getting a nice little collection there ! You will have to make a rack now to show them off ! Funnily enough still got my dads wagbi badges & muzzle loading ones ! As said , I find an angled joint easier than a square butt , said previously chalk is your best friend unto show high spots , to achieve a good joint ! Think next you should have a go at a buffalo market stick ! Be nice project for you.....

6 minutes ago, boo said:

Your getting a nice little collection there ! You will have to make a rack now to show them off ! Funnily enough still got my dads wagbi badges & muzzle loading ones ! As said , I find an angled joint easier than a square butt , said previously chalk is your best friend unto show high spots , to achieve a good joint ! Think next you should have a go at a buffalo market stick ! Be nice project for you.....

Thanks for your encouragement Boo. I think that I’ll try to master an angled joint before I try a buffalo market stick.

OB