Suspect Arrested over Birmingham Pub Bombings (1974)

TIGHTCHOKE

Remember it very well.  Terrible. I didn't see the devastation but fellow officers who worked with me in the following 18 months did and I think they would never forget it.  Pretty busy the following 18 months as it coincided with the Lesley Whittle case and we had to cover the Birmingham Airport as well.  I f I remember correctly I think I had a bout 14 days off in that time and worked 12 hrs a day. twelve on twelve off.

I knew, a now dead ex-Met Police Sergeant who after he left that job became a solicitor's legal executive. The "gopher" if you like who actually did most of the "hard yards" sitting in on initial interviews and then the prison visits to clients awaiting trial before they then men their brief. He said that he was convinced (even when they were still in prison and hadn't yet had the process started to overturn their convictions) that the "Birmingham Six" were innocent as those prisoners who were actually IRA wouldn't greet them, talk to them, interact with them. They were, to those IRA prisoners, the men of the "Birmingham Six" as if aliens from another planet.

Edited by enfieldspares

The Tavern was my Saturday place to go and they bombed it on the Thursday.

There but for the grace of as they say I was 24 then.

Just now, bavarianbrit said:

The Tavern was my Saturday place to go and they bombed it on the Thursday.

There but for the grace of as they say I was 24 then.