Work and when to stop

lurcherboy

I have worked 7 days a week for the last two months (had bank holiday sunday and monday off) and decided to stop work, down tools this afternoon :yes:

I have neglected 4 dogs over this time and this morning the two lurchers went over a 6' fence :lol:

So as soon as it gets dark I will mostly be being naughty with the pack in a 1000 acre local wood that has a very healthy wildlife :) that may be reduced in numbers tonight.

Anyone else doing hours like me please stop and have some quality time.

Laters

LB

the only time i see mr sweepy is when hes in bed (and am not in it)and then i only see the top of hes head . how we managed two conceive the two kids that we have is beyond me .as it was he had to miss both of their births do to hes work and are oldest was two weeks old before sweepy got to see him .it was hard when the boys were babies but now after 15 years its the norm for all of us .both sweepy and i have laugh and said that we would most probably have follow a lot of are friends and gone there separate ways if we where together every day. but not spending everyday with each other make us appreciate each other more so it do have its good points to . the annoying bit is that though we both work hard and hardly see each other we have very little to show for it at the end of the month .so basically we are both working just to have a decent lifestyle with very little luxurys xxxxx suzy

I too run my own (freight) business. The analogy used is like a hamster on a wheel - you are the hamster and the wheel is your business. As soon as you stop running on the wheel the business stops. I have a taken on the services of a business coach (coaching via web camera) who helps me to prioritise my work, form a business strategy, devise marketing schemes, hold me to my plans and build towards a business that will continue to make me an income whether I am there or not.

Before I took on the business coach I worked weekends, believed that no-one could do stuff as well as me and felt very isolated. With his help, this week I have moved to an office (from a home office), and I am taking on my first employee. I am still not out of the woods yet (shooting pun - sorry) but I shoot most Saturdays and I have plenty of spare time to see my kids growing up...

I too run my own (freight) business. The analogy used is like a hamster on a wheel - you are the hamster and the wheel is your business. As soon as you stop running on the wheel the business stops. I have a taken on the services of a business coach (coaching via web camera) who helps me to prioritise my work, form a business strategy, devise marketing schemes, hold me to my plans and build towards a business that will continue to make me an income whether I am there or not.

Before I took on the business coach I worked weekends, believed that no-one could do stuff as well as me and felt very isolated. With his help, this week I have moved to an office (from a home office), and I am taking on my first employee. I am still not out of the woods yet (shooting pun - sorry) but I shoot most Saturdays and I have plenty of spare time to see my kids growing up...

I ain't that far up the ladder yet LV but I see the sense in it.

LB

I ain't that far up the ladder yet LV but I see the sense in it.

LB

I started my business April this year.

look him up - www.ravipealshankar.com

Guest rabgoat
It also gives you a short fuse.

I don't think the papergirl will be parking her bike on my lawn again :yes:

LB

had to laugh when i seen that LB...im the same by thursday night im wrecked,im wakened from 5.30am 5 days a week and gettin home at 5.30 pm.i wish i could just learn to go to bed a bit earlier.

I work shifts, so does the wife, but i seem to have loads of spare time. Especially in the week when the kids are at school. My mid week day off is top quality me time.

There was a time it was ****. When the kids were young and the wife was at home. I worked my 39 hours a week on shift, worked for my dad between times and did door work between 8.30, and 02.00, unless something happened.Thursday,friday,and saturday. I thought the light at the end of the tunnel had been switched off. I had pretty much given up shooting and fishing, and even contemplated not renewing my SGC.

It does make you seriously moody. I frequently lost my temper.

Over a period of time i started getting my life back. Kids became old enough to go to playgroup, then school for longer periods, the wife went back to work and i started to cut back on things i was doing. Binned the doorwork, and dad took on less work, but i still helped him out every now and again.

With my new found freedom i started to fish again, then my boss said was i interested in shooting still, cos he had been offered some land, and needed someone to help with it.

New guns followed, new air rifle then FAC was applied for.

I dont know how i survived mentally doing all the work i was doing. My missus said i was a changed person with my own space.

had my own business for 10 years now, for the last 3 1/2 years have only worked 2 days a week :yes:

the wife used to work all the hours god sends as a diver, she now does 10 hours per week shop work :)

get to spend so much time with our 10 year old lad. plan to pretty much retire to france in a couple of years time

maml,

sounds like you have a great passive income. what do you do ?

LV

Self employed and in charge of yourself - best thing I ever did - whilst I wished I had done it sooner, the experience of working for other people and watching them get it wrong was invaluable experience - I always maintain there is no right way of doing it or everyone would be doing it - the best thing is to watch people f-it right up and just not do that.

I get to bunk off every now and again but by working my own flex time, I was in work until 1.00 a.m. last night (Sunday) and it at 7.30 a.m. today (Monday). It matters not because I line my own pockets and I have a driven day (first Partridge) lined up for Wednesday if the gods are willing.

Its funny cause I thought nobody worked as hard as me. Set up my own businee about 3 years

ago. Was slow at first, then it picked up. there wasn't enough hours in the day for all that had to be done.

Every day started with getting up early, going to work, coming home and straight to bed. This went

on for months on end. Was tired all the time and had a wicked temper because of it.

Got married in feb of this year and while i was away i decided enough was enough.

Now i work monday ta friday and do my 39 hours finishing early on the friday. the rest of the time is

me and her time. there is alot more to life than working your *** off. you have to live your life too.

Two new electricians started today and when I told one of them that we finish early on friday

he was over the moon, cause he has a son whom he only see's on the weekend and to be able

to collect him that few hours earlier ment the world to him.

regards ronan <_<

Its great being self employed...

At the end of this month i have to pay the VAT man £19727.08

At the end of next month i have to pay the accountant £1250 for working out that i owe the vat man £19727.08

At the end of "EVERY" month i have to pay the bank lots of money for them looking after "MY" money

At the end of the year the tax man takes a third of every thing i am left with.

Yes indeedy, the gods were willing and it is driven Partridge day today which is why I stayed at work today until 2 a.m. to make sure I can go out and play.

If I remember I will take a camera and some photos to rub it in for everyone who had to go to work today (Wednesday) just to line somebody elses pockets.

P.S.

Just out of interest where would the " ' " go in the last sentance? Elses or pockets? Actually thinking about it, this maybe the only time Keith S gets to use his BBC / Journalist joker card by special request on this forum. Obviously I am discounting that question LB had last year on the long running negative effects of apartheid and the escalation of sectarian violence in South Africa and the resultant political instability in neighbouring Namibia.

Yes indeedy, the gods were willing and it is driven Partridge day today which is why I stayed at work today until 2 a.m. to make sure I can go out and play.

If I remember I will take a camera and some photos to rub it in for everyone who had to go to work today (Wednesday) just to line somebody elses pockets.

P.S.

Just out of interest where would the " ' " go in the last sentance? Elses or pockets? Actually thinking about it, this maybe the only time Keith S gets to use his BBC / Journalist joker card by special request on this forum. Obviously I am discounting that question LB had last year on the long running negative effects of apartheid and the escalation of sectarian violence in South Africa and the resultant political instability in neighbouring Namibia.

the " ' " is on the elses.

and sentence doesn't have an "a" in it.