covid has caught me.

mel b3

The very nice lady on the phone said that I need to carry on isolating as I can still spread it while I still have symptoms.  Lin was tested at the same time as me , and we can only assume that she tested negative as she hasn't had a call saying otherwise. 

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, mel b3 said:

NEWSFLASH. 

I've just had the test results from the Oxford /ons test yesterday( we've been part of the trial for months) , and I'm still positive 😕. It's lucky that I was on holiday from work this week ,  I would have been very popular if I'd gone back and carried on spreading the love. They've informed me that they'll be out at some point to take blood for a antibodies test .

You will test positive for 90 days after initial infection. Thats what the very knowledgeable lady from the NHS told me. Wife tends to agree as well.

20 minutes ago, fatchap said:

You will test positive for 90 days after initial infection. Thats what the very knowledgeable lady from the NHS told me. Wife tends to agree as well.

I wouldnt disagree with any of that mate ,Im also of the understanding that most people will have antibodies for at least 90 days as well . I'm puzzled why they would call me and tell me to isolate until my symptoms have gone if I'm safe . My sister left hospital in hospital transport yesterday as she is still in isolation for ten days (she's still positive as well), and none of the family were allowed pick her up. 

7 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

I wouldnt disagree with any of that mate ,Im also of the understanding that most people will have antibodies for at least 90 days as well . I'm puzzled why they would call me and tell me to isolate until my symptoms have gone if I'm safe . My sister left hospital in hospital transport yesterday as she is still in isolation for ten days (she's still positive as well), and none of the family were allowed pick her up. 

Strange that. When I tested positive, I got a text from the NHS saying I had the virus when tested which is pretty obvious or I would have been negative. And should isolate for ten days from the date I had the test. Then a couple of days later got a phone call, telling me pretty much the same thing. She was quite interested when I told her where I worked as it flagged up on her computer straight away, Not sure if they have done anything about the amount of staff that have gone down with it. He's still open so looks like not a lot.

when i was discharged from hospital i had to have an ambulance to get me home, i asked if i could have a taxi and they said no. I think the rules on isolation when you have been admitted to hospital with covid are not very clear.

I overheard a doctor telling a patient they had to isolate for 14 days when they are discharged because they have been with other covid patients, nothing was said to me so i googled it and the government advice is that if you do go into hospital with covid you isolate for 14 days from last positive test  not the usual 10 from symptoms, this is because you are obviously more affected by the virus than someone who hasn't been admitted, this is what i went with although i was signed off for two weeks anyway so didn't go far anyway.

Edited by paul1966

1 hour ago, fatchap said:

Strange that. When I tested positive, I got a text from the NHS saying I had the virus when tested which is pretty obvious or I would have been negative. And should isolate for ten days from the date I had the test. Then a couple of days later got a phone call, telling me pretty much the same thing. She was quite interested when I told her where I worked as it flagged up on her computer straight away, Not sure if they have done anything about the amount of staff that have gone down with it. He's still open so looks like not a lot.

when i first tested positive , i got the text telling me to isolate for ten days , i also had three or four texts on the first day , telling me to download the test and trace app , i also had a call explaining that i should download the app , and that i would be breaking the law if i left the house in the next ten days , and that id need to notify anyone that id been around(id already done it). over the following nine days , i had at least one text per day , and one call , on most of the days i had two calls , and on a couple of the days , i had three calls . i can only assume that this was because i didnt download the app , i did try but i wasnt techy enough , and when lin tried to put it on my phone , my phone didnt have enough memory . in contrast , lin was able to put the app on her phone , she received a call and text on the first day , and on the last day . i can only assume that people that dont download the app , also dont isolate , and thats why they mithered so much . as anyone that followed this thread will know , i couldnt move farther than the toilet and the bed.

the positive result that ive had today , didnt come from the nhs , it came from a trial that lin and myself have been taking part in , its a trial by oxford/ office of national statistics , and came via nhs (ive also done another home test as part of a trial , it came via the nhs , but i cant remember who else was involved ) ive also been asked to donate white blood cells , but im guessing that everyone does ? .  myself and lin did the test yesterday , and i got a phone call today saying that i was still positive (they already knew that we had  both been  positive , and had had covid  , as we have to fill in a long questionnaire each time), the lady asked me a few questions , and told me that i need to isolate for another ten days , due to still having , fever , headache , nausea , the runs , runny nose , sneezing , or longer if symptoms carry on , she said that still having a cough was to be expected , and wasnt an issue . she also said that i should expect a text from the nhs ( i would guess the same text as last time , but it hasnt come yet so i dont know) , she also said that someone will visit the house to do a blood test , to check for antibodies. its odd that lin hasnt heard from them if i have .

1 hour ago, paul1966 said:

when i was discharged from hospital i had to have an ambulance to get me home, i asked if i could have a taxi and they said no. I think the rules on isolation when you have been admitted to hospital with covid are not very clear.

I overheard a doctor telling a patient they had to isolate for 14 days when they are discharged because they have been with other covid patients, nothing was said to me so i googled it and the government advice is that if you do go into hospital with covid you isolate for 14 days from last positive test  not the usual 10 from symptoms, this is because you are obviously more affected by the virus than someone who hasn't been admitted, this is what i went with although i was signed off for two weeks anyway so didn't go far anyway.

i found it strange that nobody from my sisters house could pick her up from hospital , yet its fine for her to go home to them , especially as theyve all already had covid over the last few weeks . i can completely understand the hospital not wanting you to travel in a taxi though , you must be pretty risky to be around when youre first discharged.:good:

22 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

when i first tested positive , i got the text telling me to isolate for ten days , i also had three or four texts on the first day , telling me to download the test and trace app , i also had a call explaining that i should download the app , and that i would be breaking the law if i left the house in the next ten days , and that id need to notify anyone that id been around(id already done it). over the following nine days , i had at least one text per day , and one call , on most of the days i had two calls , and on a couple of the days , i had three calls . i can only assume that this was because i didnt download the app , i did try but i wasnt techy enough , and when lin tried to put it on my phone , my phone didnt have enough memory . in contrast , lin was able to put the app on her phone , she received a call and text on the first day , and on the last day . i can only assume that people that dont download the app , also dont isolate , and thats why they mithered so much . as anyone that followed this thread will know , i couldnt move farther than the toilet and the bed.

the positive result that ive had today , didnt come from the nhs , it came from a trial that lin and myself have been taking part in , its a trial by oxford/ office of national statistics , and came via nhs (ive also done another home test as part of a trial , it came via the nhs , but i cant remember who else was involved ) ive also been asked to donate white blood cells , but im guessing that everyone does ? .  myself and lin did the test yesterday , and i got a phone call today saying that i was still positive (they already knew that we had  both been  positive , and had had covid  , as we have to fill in a long questionnaire each time), the lady asked me a few questions , and told me that i need to isolate for another ten days , due to still having , fever , headache , nausea , the runs , runny nose , sneezing , or longer if symptoms carry on , she said that still having a cough was to be expected , and wasnt an issue . she also said that i should expect a text from the nhs ( i would guess the same text as last time , but it hasnt come yet so i dont know) , she also said that someone will visit the house to do a blood test , to check for antibodies. its odd that lin hasnt heard from them if i have .

Got the missus to read this and she seems to think things may have got crossed in the post so to speak. Test arrived before the questionnaire sort of thing. Ring the NHS covid hotline on 119, she says explain things to them and what you have done so far and they will get to the bottom of it.

19 minutes ago, fatchap said:

Got the missus to read this and she seems to think things may have got crossed in the post so to speak. Test arrived before the questionnaire sort of thing. Ring the NHS covid hotline on 119, she says explain things to them and what you have done so far and they will get to the bottom of it.

The lady on the phone knew that I'd had covid , she explained that I hadn't caught it again , I'd just still got it , and that I could still infect others while I had symptoms,  and that's why I had to isolate again . She already knew about the symptoms from the questionnaire.  

I'd already spoken to my work this morning,  and told them that I was due back on Monday,  but didn't think that I'd be in ,mainly because of the foggy brain business and driving a HGV.  I then had to call them back and explain the call saying that I couldn't come either way as I had to isolate again . I can only guess that I'm not the first one in this position as the supervisor seemed to understand it completely.

Things have been pretty bad at my work , and covid has ripped through the place since Christmas . H + S have been in a couple of times , but given the type of job and working conditions,  I suppose it's just expected and accepted.

8 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

The lady on the phone knew that I'd had covid , she explained that I hadn't caught it again , I'd just still got it , and that I could still infect others while I had symptoms,  and that's why I had to isolate again . She already knew about the symptoms from the questionnaire.  

I'd already spoken to my work this morning,  and told them that I was due back on Monday,  but didn't think that I'd be in ,mainly because of the foggy brain business and driving a HGV.  I then had to call them back and explain the call saying that I couldn't come either way as I had to isolate again . I can only guess that I'm not the first one in this position as the supervisor seemed to understand it completely.

Things have been pretty bad at my work , and covid has ripped through the place since Christmas . H + S have been in a couple of times , but given the type of job and working conditions,  I suppose it's just expected and accepted.

Whenever I’ve had to ask staff to isolate or children and they are positive, our guidelines have always stated they can return if they still have the cough or lost their sense of taste and smell but not if they still had a fever.   They need to have two full days clear of fever before they return.  I also noted that care homes have to isolate for 14 days not 10.  They brought the number down but actually even 14 days was an average as they found people who were still infectious long after that. 

1 hour ago, mel b3 said:

i found it strange that nobody from my sisters house could pick her up from hospital , yet its fine for her to go home to them , especially as theyve all already had covid over the last few weeks . i can completely understand the hospital not wanting you to travel in a taxi though , you must be pretty risky to be around when youre first discharged.:good:

That is odd as the hospital i was in were ok with people you lived with picking you up.

14 minutes ago, Sian said:

Whenever I’ve had to ask staff to isolate or children and they are positive, our guidelines have always stated they can return if they still have the cough or lost their sense of taste and smell but not if they still had a fever.   They need to have two full days clear of fever before they return.  I also noted that care homes have to isolate for 14 days not 10.  They brought the number down but actually even 14 days was an average as they found people who were still infectious long after that. 

That's what I was told about the cough , that surprised me because I thought that the cough was pretty much the centre of everything with covid.

4 minutes ago, paul1966 said:

That is odd as the hospital i was in were ok with people you lived with picking you up.

I'd guess that at the moment,  some are at the front of the queue with information and protocols,  and some are at the still at the back , and everyone else is somewhere in between .  

1 minute ago, mel b3 said:

That's what I was told about the cough , that surprised me because I thought that the cough was pretty much the centre of everything with covid.

It’s always struck me as odd the range of symptoms my lot have had. Kids present with fever, diarrhoea, cold like symptoms.  Adults have hade the same and sinus issues, bad cold symptoms, headaches/migraines, muscle ache as well as the three main symptoms.  One staff member early 40s lives with her partner, 3 year old and hos elderly mother.  They all had the cough and felt rough with the elderly mother still feeling rough although now getting out.  I really thought that family were going to have real issues because during the first lockdown the partner and his mother were shielding and when they got it I thought one at least would end up in hospital at leas but no.   Her younger much  colleague who got it at the same time fit man was really poorly but at home.  He felt nauseous all the time and had to stay in bed for a week.  He went deaf in one ear for a while and had sinus issues. 

11 minutes ago, Sian said:

It’s always struck me as odd the range of symptoms my lot have had. Kids present with fever, diarrhoea, cold like symptoms.  Adults have hade the same and sinus issues, bad cold symptoms, headaches/migraines, muscle ache as well as the three main symptoms.  One staff member early 40s lives with her partner, 3 year old and hos elderly mother.  They all had the cough and felt rough with the elderly mother still feeling rough although now getting out.  I really thought that family were going to have real issues because during the first lockdown the partner and his mother were shielding and when they got it I thought one at least would end up in hospital at leas but no.   Her younger much  colleague who got it at the same time fit man was really poorly but at home.  He felt nauseous all the time and had to stay in bed for a week.  He went deaf in one ear for a while and had sinus issues. 

Strangely enough , I have a good mate that's sitting at home with covid . he's even older and fatter than me , he hasn't done any exercise since he left school over 40 years ago , and he drinks like a fish and smokes like a train . He's loving the whole Covid experience as he doesn't have a single symptom , and is sitting in front of the telly , drinking two gallons of cider every day . 

In contrast 

Lins god daughter ,  a extremely fit 30 year old school teacher , that exercises daily and eats no red meat . Is in hospital with a heart problem that the doctors think was triggered by covid last year.

I'd guess that in a few years time , the doctors will have the answers to all of it . Until then it's just the covid lucky dip 😕.

One sort of upside for us , is that pretty much everyone we come into contact with has had it now , so we should ( in theory) all be pretty safe for a while.