My chilli cultivation

Mungler

As some of you will know, I have been growing a variety of chilli plants - somewhere around 10 to 15 different varieties.

I am still working my way through the varieties (got about another 6 to try) and believe that I have hit upon the hottest yet.

The missus is knocking up a stir fry and she asked for a chilli - I nipped down to the greenhouse and pulled one off (oooerrrr).

Chopped it up and did the old dip the tip of the finger and lick tongue test - hells bells I nearly went into anaphylactic shock. I will update on the variety when it's day light tomorrow. I may take some piccies.

Any of you in receipt of Mungler's chilli plants do let me know how you and they are getting on.

The one's you labelled PB are below, not many chilli's or even very big (about 15/20mm) but very red. The are on the inner window sill.

DSCF0096.jpg

The Twilights are about 3 1/2 foot high and have plenty of chilli's on them, around 15 on one of the two plants. I looked up the harvest times for these but it seems as they are only purple (the first stage) i have a while to go yet. They are outside in the sunniest spot i have.

The two Pob plants have about 2 chilli's on each and i only spotted them today, they are deep green and wide put literally only just showing. These two have really not done anything since i planted then. They are in the same grow bag as the twilights.

Thanks for the donation Mung, it's interesting to try these out as i've never grown anything before. Maybe one day i'll have a more suitable 'rear aspect' to experiment with.

I must have got the dud batch then, mine have done ****** all except flower, no chilli's at all.

Are they inside? I manually swabbed the flowers to swap the pollen (pollinating?), but i only did a few of the flowers on the PB plant then forgot so i guess that's why i've only got a couple of chillis. The twilights are outside so i reckon the bees did the work for me.

Not sure if needed to do the swabbing thing but i thought i should, it seems to stand up to logic that the outside ones are doing better.

I brought some to Bisley but you f'ed off at speed.

I have some nice ones just coming on I can bring.

I had reason to.

You failed to turn up with bacon as requested @ 06:00 by text.

Besides, I was drinking and driving and wanted to get home before the Corona got warm :welcomeani:

I will give you another chance though as I am nothing if not compassionate.

LB

Ours are doing well thanks Mung. Of the three, 2 look green and small (doign well though), but the 3rd plant looks like its got a hybrid Chilli-Aubergine thing going on !!! any ideas ? I'll get some pics tonight.

Si

Sounds like the twilights ones. I think they go purple, yellow and red.

Ours are doing well thanks Mung. Of the three, 2 look green and small (doign well though), but the 3rd plant looks like its got a hybrid Chilli-Aubergine thing going on !!! any ideas ? I'll get some pics tonight.

Si

One colour after the other, or this one is the purple one ?

Si

One colour after the other, or this one is the purple one ?

I think they go through 3 stages of colour as they ripen, see here: http://www.chileseeds.co.uk/numextwilightchilliseeds.htm

Mine have started at last,

I have one chilli that looks like a small green bell pepper, (poblano?:blink:?) and about a dozen very small bright purple coloured ones. so they must be the twilights. I have moved them away from my tomatoes as they seemed to be smothering them.

I have grow clilli's for years, just for fun I grown the Habanero (Various), Fire Cracker and Scotch Bonnet, these are the hottest things I and many unlucky friends have ever tasted! they are seriously hot. Chilli's heat is measured by the 'The Scoville scale' if you google this you can see where your chilli's rate on this scale.

This year I have added the 'Bhut Jolokia' which is reported to be the official hotest chilli in the world!

Take a look at this site http://www.chileseeds.co.uk they sell seeds and plants, loads of information.

I hope I have given some useful information.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Okay, we are having chilli tonight and I have just added the necessary to pep it up.

After growing just about every type of chilli known to mankind, I am able to publish the findings of my research and the fruits of my labour.

To cut to it, my favourite chilli and one which I would recommend everyone have a go at growing next year is - the Thai hot.

Extremely hot, fruits well and will grow indoors or out.

EDIT:

Just went out to the greenhouse to water and harvest a few more. Started watering a grow bag and 4 mice ran out of it. Scared the poop out of me.

Mungler, have you ever made Chilli Vodka from your harvest? I make some every year and it makes excellent (not for wimps) Bloody Mary's. The hotter the chilli the better the vodka.

I always take a bottle of chilli vodka game shooting, warms you up a treat on the coldest of days. :good: