Metal Detecting

jonevo

Anyone had a go at this ,I got into it by pure chance,While out ferreting,I found aload of old pottery and claypipes and while I was shifting through the soil, found a fragment from an old coin ,it turned out to be a roman coin and ,when I told a mate what it was we decided to get a metal detector and look at what we could get on the farmers field.

found aload of old mole traps and a ferret collar we had lost a few years back :blink:

since then we have been going out each weekend and left the ferreting to later on in the year.

anyone else into metal detecting and what have you found

As a young boy - some years ago now i pestered my parents non stop for a metal detector. After finally getting one me and my mate went metal detecting around a field when the thing started to buzz like mad. We dug down about 8 inches and lo and behold we revealed a hand grenade. As stupid as we were we took the thing home much to the horror of my dad. Fortunately it turned out to be deactivated but my metal detecting days abruptly came to an end after that.

Good hobby though!

I always fancied a go.I took my kids toy one out other week to try to find a live cartridge i think i dropped on the farm.Glad it not open to the public.It bright blue plastic thing.Never found it.

Anyone lost anything expensive and need it finding let me know

will travel 50 mile radius of chester

My lad was mad into it until he found girls more interesting.

I used to take him all over the place but his favorite was the beaches during the summer after they had been busy. I still have his minelab machine which he had great success with. He found many interesting things from roman/saxon coinage, old implements to munitions, modern money and even a German WW2 Iron cross.

The most valuable item he found was a 210 gram heavy curb chain on a local beach. The most modern money he found was a total of 53 pounds in a period of four hours.

It never done anything for me metal detecting, but I can see how it can be addictive if you are successful at it.

Something I have often felt would be good fun, and healthy to boot with all that walking about and digging. But the price of a decent detector has always put me off.

Anyone got one they fancy lending me or even an offer of a day out trapsing around fields?

SS

Touble is SS, good detecting areas in suffolk is real hard to get permission on. At the time I thought getting detecting permission was harder than shooting permission. I was greeted by many a farmer with the same remark 'You can go boy but I wants half of anything you find and I will be checking to see what you got'.

It is good fun though for youngsters and to be honest nowadays a decent machine will set you back over a grand. My lad's minelab was good in some types of ground to a depth of over two feet, but most finds are within 6 inches of the surface.

Something I have often felt would be good fun, and healthy to boot with all that walking about and digging. But the price of a decent detector has always put me off.

Anyone got one they fancy lending me or even an offer of a day out trapsing around fields?

SS

Touble is SS, good detecting areas in suffolk is real hard to get permission on. At the time I thought getting detecting permission was harder than shooting permission. I was greeted by many a farmer with the same remark 'You can go boy but I wants half of anything you find and I will be checking to see what you got'.

It is good fun though for youngsters and to be honest nowadays a decent machine will set you back over a grand. My lad's minelab was good in some types of ground to a depth of over two feet, but most finds are within 6 inches of the surface.

I have 1400 acres of farmland to check over as well as ome more locally, so I reckon it would take me a while to do it all anyway. As to finding anything, I understand from what little I know, that treasure hoards are few and far between, so won't hold out. If the Farmer/landowner wants half, then so be it, and its more the enjoyment factor as well as a way to get out on the land between the game season and releasing and decent crops for pigeons etc. Helps keep the eye in on the land.

SS

Its not something that has appealed to me, but I can understand it becoming addictive.

There must be a few Clubs about as once a year a group gather in a farmyard near to me for the day.

The setup includes portable loos, roped off areas of a large field (different one every year) and a barbecue afterwards.

I have never made enquiries, but it has all the hallmarks of a competition, a whistle blows and they start and a whistle blows at every official break.

I just haven't worked out how you could do this competitively yet.

That is correct, your bounty is in fact a joint share between you and the landowner. Sometimes they were just interested in what you found.

Whats worse is if you find something really valuable and you can't keep it at all or the proceeds and it becomes rpoperty of the realm........

If its treasure trove they still have to give the finder the value. They just cant keep or sell it themselves. The coroner decides if its treasure trove. The only people who might rip you off would be if you found something on council land. No surprise there.

Since 1996 there has been no such thing as Treasure Trove. The rules were changed and it is just called Treasure now. Essentially Treasure Trove was any objects buried by a person, or persons unknown, with the intention of returning to dig them up. It was up to the experts (archaeologists etc.) to imagine what was in the mind of the person who buried it, and was subject to so much speculation and guesswork. Now there is a list of objects that may be Treasure, and a committee decides the value, and who gets the reward. Under Treasure Trove even a trespasser could get a reward, as the finder.

Cranfield, What you are witnessing is a MD Rally, with prizes for the best find of a certain category etc. etc.

I was more interested in looking for the older finds as they for me are alot more interesting.

My lad was'nt bothered though- He was only interested in the modern cash which you could spend!!!

As I mentioned in an earlier thread, beaches were his favorite. There was always hotspots too. Biggest hotspot on my local stretch of beach was under the pier between the groynes. There was a nightclub above and the best times was always after a friday or saturday night.

I never have been able to work out what people would be doing under the pier dropping money at night.

I always thought it might have been 'crab watchers'

after reading all your replys i think i might try and find my dads detector he paid massive amounts for it back in the days when he had hair :P iv just got to work out how to work it it's got loads of nobs and dials on it, last time we used it was when we were trying to find were the electrical wires run up the wall