Jocker carts - reclaimed lead

Evening all

I see there have been posts in the past. I am looking at Greenfields of Salisbury selling a 28g Jocker for 189/thou (they have a cheaper "Trust" cart at 185 so this isn't the cheapest)

I'm curious as to how they reclaim the lead? I have seen a shoot in Italy that uses like a parachute under the clays to catch lead, is this what Jocker does? Just seems like a good way to recycle lead.

I am hoping that they shoot well, many people from this forum spoke kindly of them :)

Is recycling lead the future?....

I'd guess that the lead is reclaimed not from processing the top scraped off layer of soil (if you ever visit Bisley look at the "carpets" of lead shot in front of their clay layout) so yes you could use a "parachute" like a painter lays down a dust sheet) but from more likely old lead acid batteries, scrap linotype from the days of typeset printing, old lead pipes and etc..

Edited by enfieldspares

Years ago certain events, most typically DTL , all the shots were taken in the same direction so all the shot would land in basically the same place. A few large tarps pinned to the ground in the right spot could harvest a fair amount of lead over a period of time. At that time 1000 cartridges in those days equated to 70lbs of lead when absolutely everybody shot 32g

Several hundred pounds of shot could be collected from a single day's club clay shooting if you were really lucky and that represented a lot of virtually free pigeon and rabbit cartridges for people like me. But however much you actually got it was still free lead shot and thats the key point

Edited by Vince Green

2 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i seem to recall    many years ago someone in the cambridgeshire area ...made a lead harvester.........it did work but was very expensive to run and maintain...and in the end it went up for sale.....

One was built under the Eley banner and operated for a time at the clay shoot at RAF Lakenheath that is now Eriswell Lodge.

It "harvested" lead from in front of the skeet and DTL ranges but as you say it didn't last too long.

16 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

One was built under the Eley banner and operated for a time at the clay shoot at RAF Lakenheath that is now Eriswell Lodge.

It "harvested" lead from in front of the skeet and DTL ranges but as you say it didn't last too long.

yeeaahhh...........thats it ...the more i think about it the more i remember....i believe there was an article in the shooting times or the shooting gazzette about it....it was also adapted to work on land that had been ploughed or turned over...it was like the size of a potatoe harvester..