Disposing of surplus game

arjimlad

From time to time people post on here about what to do with unwanted game. I have been informed by my better half that I have too many rabbits in the freezer. I do wonder whether they are breeding in there, as we have rabbit most weeks and I didn't think I shot that many. I asked around my usual contacts who will probably have some in due course, but have also posted up an advert for "free wild rabbit meat" on my local Freecycle group website.

Freecycle is a web-based local network for people to put unwanted stuff on, which they are happy to let go for free.

I have had 10 folks say "yes please" to some wild rabbit, which I am very happy to supply, if it gets more people eating proper meat and supporting our sport. I have already had the offer of some apples as a swap, and may even get some new shooting out of it too. If you live in a semi-rural area this might be worth considering.

Although Rabbits are not 'Game', they still go down a treat with anone who knows how to cook them.

Where I work, my rabbits are actually jointed, and made into meals for the people I live with (community).

I try not to leave good bunnies behind.

Try offer some to any friends that come over, I have a firend who loves to make rabbit sandwiches to take to work :D

Freecycle's a good idea for passing on a surplus, I should try that with my spares. Right now though I have a ready market at work. People here seem a little more open to trying things like rabbit and pigeon than at my last place and if I have spares, I am more than happy to joint them up and let them have them.

Mind you, the best way to dispose of a surplus of game is to just make a huge big pie and then invite people over. I had to start emptying the freezer before my house move and did that to a load of pigeon, two rabbits and some pheasant chunks I found. Pie was great, company was great, the wine went down well and a good night was had by all.

Personally I feel that you should not be shooting it unless you have a use for it. Except for the ones you can't eat like crows and foxes etc.

If you have to go and shoot everything then find an outlet for it, there must be a game dealer or butcher local to you who will take them.

I shoot more wabbits than I can deal with, and as I don't fancy cleaning and skinning them for other people (the only way people will take them) and we don't have a chest freezer, I end up with a surplus - but that is pest control, they still need controlling.

As winchester said, they get left for something else to eat.

we eat everything except I have too many rabbits for our freezer. I shoot the rabbits because the farmer want it that way... part of the deal. I have a game dealer who takes everything I can give him.... but I only give him rabbits. Seems many people love them still. Most of my relatives love them too. I get £1.25 for a rabbit but it pays for a few carts.... Just.

I've had an enquiry from a new contact for rabbit who wants to make fancy dishes to sell on the markets with her organics.... we'll see how that goes.

I shoot them as pest control, but I do prefer to see them eaten. That's why there is a surplus built up in my freezer. I do have friends who take them but have changed jobs and church recently, which has changed my contact spheres somewhat. I don't chuck healthy rabbits in the hedge for the fox but neither do I spare the young'uns.

If I had a local game dealer I would gladly supply him, but my local game-dealer butcher says he doesn't want rabbits as he cannot sell them.

I shoot more wabbits than I can deal with, and as I don't fancy cleaning and skinning them for other people (the only way people will take them) and we don't have a chest freezer, I end up with a surplus - but that is pest control, they still need controlling.

As winchester said, they get left for something else to eat.

as said it is pest control first and foremost, also if you have pheasants on the land a few left lying round does give something for the buzzards to eat. One things for sure any left on my permission very rarely stay there 24 hours