Jump to content

Westlands…..again.


Recommended Posts

Had a trip through yesterday afternoon and blew our way through 400 cartridges. 
Very windy and sunny, so much so that we only had one reload each on Stand 1 tower; the wind just curled the birds directly into the sun and we just couldn’t see them. The second tower now fires two crossers rather than a driven and a crosser, and although we both connected, it was few and far between….very frustrating but still enjoyable. 
My bogey bird when I set out trap shooting many moons ago was rabbits, to the extent I would spend all my time shooting rabbits only until they became one of my favourites. About a year or so ago I started struggling on them and couldn’t fathom why, but now I do. I’ve been giving them too much lead. I’ve done so much live bunny shooting, where I place the muzzle just in front of the rabbits feet, that I’ve been getting in front of clay ones too! As always, the clay version is slowing down, and as such I put the muzzle on that back edge and low and behold, sent them to smithereens on a regular basis. 🙂Happy bunny again. 
The Skeet was hilariously frustrating as the birds were affected by the gusty wind, but mate put up the best round by only dropping three. I could quite get into skeet. 
The gun shop is extremely well stocked nowadays, and amongst the high end stuff is a good mixture of classics, consisting of a couple of old but very nice Miroku 3800’s, a very nice Nikko trap gun, a Savage pump and a Wingmaster in 20 bore. There was also a nice B25 with straight hand stock, a Pro Sport with two sets of barrels and woodwork, and a high rib 725 Pro. Yum! 
A nice but very expensive display piece was an amazingly heavy Accuracy International sniper rifle, at £13,000.00. 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I went last Monday but waited until after 15.00 when the tower clays were easier to see. I too was dissapointed as there was no driven off the tower. 

I had very view no birds and the wind makes it more interesting, but never mind😃 It's still a good day out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello, I had my usual Sunday visit. Several no birds and broken clays but one of the staff was shortly on scene, topping up. Disappointed with some of the new layout, in particular the loss of driven from 2nd tower stand. Staff in shop and cafe all very friendly, as always. My main concern is the lack of customers, even less shooters than usual and only a couple of visitors in shop. I hope it picks up with summer approaching as it is too valuable an asset to be lost . Regards

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, BlaserF3 said:

I went last Monday but waited until after 15.00 when the tower clays were easier to see. I too was dissapointed as there was no driven off the tower. 

I had very view no birds and the wind makes it more interesting, but never mind😃 It's still a good day out.

It is a good day out indeed, wind or not. We had 13 no birds out of 400, not a bad rate at all. The skeet traps were flawless. 
Was pleased to discover you can still get a good bacon sarnie! 
Have you visited Watch Hill, near Workington/Cockermouth? We were going to go there yesterday as we’ve never been, but I needed cartridges and neither of us knew if Watch Hill stocked them. 

17 minutes ago, benbobailey said:

Hello, I had my usual Sunday visit. Several no birds and broken clays but one of the staff was shortly on scene, topping up. Disappointed with some of the new layout, in particular the loss of driven from 2nd tower stand. Staff in shop and cafe all very friendly, as always. My main concern is the lack of customers, even less shooters than usual and only a couple of visitors in shop. I hope it picks up with summer approaching as it is too valuable an asset to be lost . Regards

Must admit it was fairly quiet, but I’m not too concerned. I think it’ll pick up as the tourist season gets underway and the better weather gets here. 

Edited by Scully
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Went over to Westlands with my grandson two weeks ago. Everything working perfectly and he enjoyed himself with enough easy targets for his third time out. Great lunch, two baked tatties with fillings. Won’t make their upcoming anniversary celebrations but expect it to be mobbed. Great to have it almost on my doorstep.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 25/04/2022 at 18:35, Scully said:

Had a trip through yesterday afternoon and blew our way through 400 cartridges. 
Very windy and sunny, so much so that we only had one reload each on Stand 1 tower; the wind just curled the birds directly into the sun and we just couldn’t see them. The second tower now fires two crossers rather than a driven and a crosser, and although we both connected, it was few and far between….very frustrating but still enjoyable. 
My bogey bird when I set out trap shooting many moons ago was rabbits, to the extent I would spend all my time shooting rabbits only until they became one of my favourites. About a year or so ago I started struggling on them and couldn’t fathom why, but now I do. I’ve been giving them too much lead. I’ve done so much live bunny shooting, where I place the muzzle just in front of the rabbits feet, that I’ve been getting in front of clay ones too! As always, the clay version is slowing down, and as such I put the muzzle on that back edge and low and behold, sent them to smithereens on a regular basis. 🙂Happy bunny again. 
The Skeet was hilariously frustrating as the birds were affected by the gusty wind, but mate put up the best round by only dropping three. I could quite get into skeet. 
The gun shop is extremely well stocked nowadays, and amongst the high end stuff is a good mixture of classics, consisting of a couple of old but very nice Miroku 3800’s, a very nice Nikko trap gun, a Savage pump and a Wingmaster in 20 bore. There was also a nice B25 with straight hand stock, a Pro Sport with two sets of barrels and woodwork, and a high rib 725 Pro. Yum! 
A nice but very expensive display piece was an amazingly heavy Accuracy International sniper rifle, at £13,000.00. 🙂

 

We went there at weekend it now as Starshot shooting 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Philscar said:

 

We went there at weekend it now as Starshot shooting 

The place seems to be growing and growing! 
Hopefully they’ll have room for a grouse butt some time. Off to Crabtree tomorrow for a go on theirs. 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...