Corroded bell cast

Scully

Can anyone recommend an effective treatment for the above? I realise with it being steel that the corrosion will eventually leech back through, pushing off the render and paintwork along with it, but has anyone found a good way of treating this that at least keeps it from doing so for a couple of years or so? 
Up to now I’ve always polished it to the best I can and then liberally applied a Zinsser product, but if anyone knows of a more durable method I’m all ears. Ta. 

42 minutes ago, Scully said:

Can anyone recommend an effective treatment for the above? I realise with it being steel that the corrosion will eventually leech back through, pushing off the render and paintwork along with it, but has anyone found a good way of treating this that at least keeps it from doing so for a couple of years or so? 
Up to now I’ve always polished it to the best I can and then liberally applied a Zinsser product, but if anyone knows of a more durable method I’m all ears. Ta. 

Me too

Well sadly galvanised bellcast beads rott right through front to back and once they start they go down hill fast if you can source where the water is getting in cracking render or paint break down once wet freeze’s during winter months that’s how the Render starts to blow iff you can fill the cracks to stop water getting in .iff really bad you could grind off the bead fix a slaters Batton beneath where the bead has come off and fill in between existing rendering and the batton with a modern light weight render like one coat render built up with coats to get the thickness and finish the final coat with a sponge .iff not badly damaged with rust or rot treat with a bitumen paint below the bead and under the bead if the bellcast were stainless steel they would have lasted for longer modern day render beads are plastic so no issues with rust hope this helps but without pictures it’s hard to see your problem 

41 minutes ago, Ian willetts said:

Well sadly galvanised bellcast beads rott right through front to back and once they start they go down hill fast if you can source where the water is getting in cracking render or paint break down once wet freeze’s during winter months that’s how the Render starts to blow iff you can fill the cracks to stop water getting in .iff really bad you could grind off the bead fix a slaters Batton beneath where the bead has come off and fill in between existing rendering and the batton with a modern light weight render like one coat render built up with coats to get the thickness and finish the final coat with a sponge .iff not badly damaged with rust or rot treat with a bitumen paint below the bead and under the bead if the bellcast were stainless steel they would have lasted for longer modern day render beads are plastic so no issues with rust hope this helps but without pictures it’s hard to see your problem 

Thanks. Client told me last year he would remove all render and bellcast, and I advised him to replace with either plastic, stainless or aluminium, but has now changed his mind so has asked me to ‘do the best you can’. The drawback with this is that as always in trades, your work is your advertisement, and this property is on the main drag into town, so everyone passes it on a daily basis. I’ve told him this and am considering turning down the work as a result, as I know it will just return. He knows it also, but all the average person sees is ‘he just did that last year and it looks a mess already’.
Not easy as he’s a mate. 

Well that’s what I always recommend remove all the old as you may get comebacks I only use the light weight render and I recommend the silicone inhansed finish water tight and no need to paint you can’t make a silk purse out of a pigs ear my dad always says you will always see where you have made good with sand and cement but with one coat render you can get it to blend in as there is no grit in it 

3 hours ago, Scully said:

I know it's not a popular material, but these are available in plastic. Just make sure you use corrosion resistant fixings 😉

1 hour ago, Ian willetts said:

Well that’s what I always recommend remove all the old as you may get comebacks I only use the light weight render and I recommend the silicone inhansed finish water tight and no need to paint you can’t make a silk purse out of a pigs ear my dad always says you will always see where you have made good with sand and cement but with one coat render you can get it to blend in as there is no grit in it 

Thanks. If I was replacing the bellcast it wouldn’t be a problem, but I’m just trying to stop the corrosion in the existing one from coming back through whatever repairs I make. 

27 minutes ago, ditchman said:

im still dying to find out what a corroded bell cast is..........just cant work this post out yet...

i take it ...its nothing to do with bells eh ?

🙂 This is type of bellcast Ditchy. 

image.jpeg.79230654d55869763cf64336e23ce55e.jpeg