Barrels catch firing pin ??

1Ab

40 minutes ago, Gunman said:

Before even thinking about doing anything else you need to check whether the hammers are dead fall or have some rebound ,which is often set with " nuts" on the mainspring guides

Thank you for the feedback, I believe they are deadfall I don't recall seeing any "nuts" or adjustment on the springs. 

As a test I did add a shim between the tang and the loading bar and it seemed to work. 

It still needs some figuring out. 

This smells of a proper bodge job, who in their right mind thinks it ok to take a grinder to a non replaceable part.

The least they could do is run a bit scotch-brite over the part to remove the grinder burn to hide their poor workmanship.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 01/12/2022 at 09:21, 1Ab said:

Thank you for the feedback, I believe they are deadfall I don't recall seeing any "nuts" or adjustment on the springs. 

As a test I did add a shim between the tang and the loading bar and it seemed to work. 

It still needs some figuring out. 

This smells of a proper bodge job, who in their right mind thinks it ok to take a grinder to a non replaceable part.

The least they could do is run a bit scotch-brite over the part to remove the grinder burn to hide their poor workmanship.

The cam or " cocking knibb"as I have heard it referred to will be removable but getting a replacement may not be simple as they change over time . They can also a right pain to fit and get right as it has to be very tight with no movement at all . Prior to retirement I've  had to correct numerous guns of similar design. 

It may be that you have to look at the whole cocking chain , cam /rods or plate / intermediate cam under the hammers if fitted , before attempting or deciding which will be the best way to increase lift speed without stopping the hammers from falling fully .

It may only be a matter of a few thou in the right place . 

Welding  or metal spraying can be OK but all the bearing surfaces have to be hard .Many  parts are cast so do not weld well and are hardened in a specific way so heat can have a detrimental effect on their integrity .

2 minutes ago, Gunman said:

The cam or " cocking knibb"as I have heard it referred to will be removable but getting a replacement may not be simple

Yes you are absolutely right as I found out yesterday Bettinsoli currently do not have a distributer/importer in the UK. So getting parts is very difficult.

As you stated I will have to look at the whole cocking chain and attempt to make it work. I did notice there is quite a bit of travel in the loading bar before it engages the intermediate cam.I may be able to make some adjustment there. 

I'll strip the action down further hopefully I don't find any more angle grinder machining inside. 

If all else fails I'll draw up all the parts as I go along and have new ones machined with necessary modifications and heat treat as appropriate. 

Thank you for posting, your comments are useful and you clearly know what you are talking about. It helps 

On 26/07/2022 at 19:29, Westley said:
On 26/07/2022 at 19:06, DUNKS said:

I use snap caps in my 2 S x S guns due to their V springs and only coming out 4 or 5 times a year, but never in the O/U's.

Yes agreed - this is absolutely the correct approach. Relieving coil springs for storage in a modern O/U’s is utterly pointless. Do brand new Brownings get unboxed with snap caps in them…?!

An update, I fixed it.

After speaking to Wabbitbosher I realised I might have misdiagnosed the problem. 

I had thrown in the towel and was putting the gun back together to take it to a gun smith when I noticed something I had not seen before. 

The regulator screws on the mainspring, with some fine adjustment I was able to get the hammer rebound just right so that the firing pins sit sub flush after the hammers drop. No more dragging firing pins.

As for the ground down cocking dog I have no idea why that was done.

No I just have to take it to the range for a test fire. 

IMG_20221207_062939.jpg

1 hour ago, Gunman said:

Great . Glad it was a simple fix , those nut do come loose , some have crimped ends others have lock nuts , Just check that nothing has come off the ends and got wedged in the stock head .

Thanks for letting me know, I think these are supposed to be crimped but have come loose. I was surprised just how loose they were they just spin freely. I did think to myself I'll grab some green loctite at work and lock them in place once set. This way they won't wiggle loose without heat.  

It still seems strange that the gunsmith handed the gun back in this state, its so simple it almost seems deliberate. Perhaps he did set it and just forgot to crimp the end 

Only one way to confirm and that's to get it down to the range and put a few boxes of cartridges through it. 

12 hours ago, London Best said:

A gunmaker once said to me, “gunmakers make guns....’gunsmiths’ ruin guns.”

You never know it might be the snap caps as they claimed. It just so happened that my snap caps came fitted with an angle grinder and a pair of pliers I recon those little rascals got out at night and cause some mischief. 

Sorry to say there are " gunsmiths" and those of us who know what we were doing . Cant agree with " gunmakers make guns -gunsmiths ruin them " as a gunmaker turned gunsmith myself  .  Country gunsmiths was the term used in Birmingham meaning bodgers who welded ploughs one day fixed guns another then dug the ditches .

Then agian as I worked in the country for many years I found the term some what annoying doing   work for both the Birmingham and London trades . 

38 minutes ago, Gunman said:

Sorry to say there are " gunsmiths" and those of us who know what we were doing . Cant agree with " gunmakers make guns -gunsmiths ruin them " as a gunmaker turned gunsmith myself  . 

Quite correct, Sir. 
That is why I put ‘gunsmiths’ in inverted commas.

Most shooters seem to think gun dealers are gunsmiths.

Edited by London Best