4x4 for light of road driving

craig1982

Good report, thanks.  I will see how this one performs on the good standard road tyres before puting some slightly more aggresive ones on.  I was told by a good friend in the trade that the only main problem with the diesel engine is injectors tend to fail at around 100 thou but this was due to people filling up with cheap fuel in his opinion.

I road tested one of the very early Darcias back in the late 80's for an article in Stalking Magazine. It was very basic back then but still climbed around the Welsh Hills no problem and apart from being very basic as if built with a kit of parts, I could not fault it.   Renault getting involved was a big step forward.

A close friend has a 2014 Duster diesel which I have driven quite a bit, on and off road. His is fitted with all terrain tyres (first thing he did after buying it.) It is used for picking up/beating up to four days/week in the season and carting pheasant feed round the hoppers in the rearing season. I have twice done a feed round with it in Winter and the little car will go pretty well anywhere. Climbed greasy Derbyshire grass hills no problem. I am really impressed but must say it feels underpowered to me with the 1500 diesel. I certainly wouldn’t want to tow 1500kg with it.

23 hours ago, London Best said:

A close friend has a 2014 Duster diesel which I have driven quite a bit, on and off road. His is fitted with all terrain tyres (first thing he did after buying it.) It is used for picking up/beating up to four days/week in the season and carting pheasant feed round the hoppers in the rearing season. I have twice done a feed round with it in Winter and the little car will go pretty well anywhere. Climbed greasy Derbyshire grass hills no problem. I am really impressed but must say it feels underpowered to me with the 1500 diesel. I certainly wouldn’t want to tow 1500kg with it.

Yes, it has limitations like all motor vehicles. I have no intention of towing and once the tyres fitted have worn down a bit I will replace with ome decent grippers.  The boot is enormouse without folding the seats. 

Oops, sorry Mcspredder, that might have been me re-fuel gauge.

I put about £30 ish in at a time in petrol as I haven't needed to do long motorway trips lately. Usually have 2 or 3 bars showing and it takes me up to around 6 or 7 bars at today's prices, but have not had the need to bring it.

Should read to brim it.

• 4 weeks later...