Dogs getting excited at new season approaches.

worrall26

Best of luck :) 

My 2 year old dog is just about now FINALLY chilled out and seems to have matured mentally, the slight issue I had with him picking flapping birds has been resolved through training and he will now happily picked birds, cold game, and have shot a few over him now without issue.

He is at the point he will join me out rough shooting, he needs a lot more experience in the field and another year to calm down a bit before I enter him in trials next year :)

The old dog still has the moves, went out today dogging in and was good flushing birds back into the pen on my mates commercial shoot. Nice and stready with several flushes right off the nose. 

Be some good days rough shooting and may even enter him in an open trial if he is looking well :)

Best of luck for the season ahead! 

Was walking my pip down a wooded path before clay shooting at Coniston clay ground.

now pip is 3 and is 100% mental spaniel- has ok recall but I didn’t realise that at the same time as her exercise the game keeper was dogging the pheasants back into the wood ( or she’d have been at heal or on the lead or more likley exercised elsewhere!)

I saw them - she saw them and as about 4 brace of young pheasants drop 5yards in font of where she was doing what spaniels do.

my urgent recall whistle fell on deaf ears as did my cursing 1 minutes later the gatekeeper turns up wanting a chat !

me muttering apologies about her going self employed another recall whistle worked and she slunk down the hill ( knowing she was in bother ) 

After a brief chat and allowing me to explain from my angle - no harm done he giggled that he’d seen better recall on a spanner spaniel- but heed seen a lot LOT worse !?! and asked me if I would come beat for them ?!?

Looking forward to our first pheasant beat on normal syndicate beginning of November 

Agriv8 and Pip

28 minutes ago, Agriv8 said:

Was walking my pip down a wooded path before clay shooting at Coniston clay ground.

now pip is 3 and is 100% mental spaniel- has ok recall but I didn’t realise that at the same time as her exercise the game keeper was dogging the pheasants back into the wood ( or she’d have been at heal or on the lead or more likley exercised elsewhere!)

I saw them - she saw them and as about 4 brace of young pheasants drop 5yards in font of where she was doing what spaniels do.

my urgent recall whistle fell on deaf ears as did my cursing 1 minutes later the gatekeeper turns up wanting a chat !

me muttering apologies about her going self employed another recall whistle worked and she slunk down the hill ( knowing she was in bother ) 

After a brief chat and allowing me to explain from my angle - no harm done he giggled that he’d seen better recall on a spanner spaniel- but heed seen a lot LOT worse !?! and asked me if I would come beat for them ?!?

Looking forward to our first pheasant beat on normal syndicate beginning of November 

Agriv8 and Pip

Thats a great outcome considering you were probably convinced you were going to get a verbal bum kicking!

I've seen an allegedly well trained dog run in so far down the beat it ended up in the gun line so there's always one worse than what you think yours is!

Best of luck 👍 

On 05/10/2022 at 20:15, Rob85 said:

Thats a great outcome considering you were probably convinced you were going to get a verbal bum kicking!

I've seen an allegedly well trained dog run in so far down the beat it ended up in the gun line so there's always one worse than what you think yours is!

Best of luck 👍 

Rob - she's no angel - but I think any respectable owner tends to spot there own dogs worse traits.

Beating - she will happily work around me. she has a tendency to run on after the flush but the low numbers I shoot makes this a hard one to train 

at least at 3 we are building the bond and trust and looking forward to see how she works this season

Agriv8