Hikmicro or Pulsar ???

Downesy

I'm looking to buy a thermal monocular for foxing for around the 1k mark. 

At the minute im thinking either the hikmicro lynx pro 19mm or the pulsar axion xm30f,

So before i spend the cash Is there anything that 1 unit does better than the other and has anyone had the chance to use both unit's at some point and would recommend one over the other? 

Or is there a better thermal monocular for around that price mark thats worth thinking about? 

Thanks.

Not tried either but i use pulsar 38....

I reckon you need the largest objective you can get. There is a big difference between the pulsar 38... and the axiom 30 something my mate uses. When conditions are not so great (most of the time) the more input the better the output. 

37 minutes ago, oowee said:

Not tried either but i use pulsar 38....

I reckon you need the largest objective you can get. There is a big difference between the pulsar 38... and the axiom 30 something my mate uses. When conditions are not so great (most of the time) the more input the better the output. 

How does your mate find the 30 ? I suppose you get what you pay for in regards to the 38, with it being double the price of the 30 i imagine the image quality would be alot better.

I need something that will allow me to spot foxes to upto around 700m.   The main difference i can see from loooking at the reviews is that the pulsar has a much narrower feild of view than the hikmicro. 

Its definition that is the issue. Field of view will make a difference but when you are scanning rather than picking up a target to shoot its not such a big deal. You have time to scan when the target is at a distance when its running in less so.

The 30 can spot stuff at the same sort of ranges as the 38 but it will not define so quickly. Badger from fox from hare is not so easy. Good Nv (digital) is a boon to see what you are looking at. The 30 he has is excellent but not at the level of a 38 which is not at a level of a 50. Any of them are miles better than the red lamp I started with. 30 will easily see 1000m but working out what it is then that's going to be down to watching for a while and work it out from the movement or getting it within say 300m. If there is moisture in the air then it's going to be less. Then the smaller the objective the less data you will have as input.

If its leisure shooting then the 30 will be fine for most uses in fields. If your contracting and need to clear stuff quickly and efficiently night after night then more would be better.

I have a Lynx 19mm. Certainly opens up night shooting to a new level. Haven't used it in the day, but it is amazing what is around you and you don't realize. Foxes, rabbit, hedgehog, woodcock and snipe, that you would have never known.

For what I wanted it's great, see foxes hundreds of yards away, once you get accustomed to what is " hot " living and what is " hot " inanimate, e.g. large stone heated up from daytime.

Weather conditions affect viewing, damp, cold nights are not as good as dry warm nights.

One thing I would change is batteries. I have never run out of battery time as such, but did once have no charge and would not switch on, which I can only assume I did not turn off and it was left on standby and ran out. So for me external battery option is a good feature.

I have never looked through any other thermal, so 19mm as entry level is great.

Wait for black Friday sales and you'll save about £100 .

15 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

I have the hikmicro gryphon, it's priced at around 1700 so a bit more than your looking to spend, but it's a great bit of kit. Matching pulsar kit imo 

I've been looking at them to be honest,  optics warehouse have the gh25 on offer at £1300 . Is it the 25mm that you have ?

11 hours ago, 30-6 said:

I have a Lynx 19mm. Certainly opens up night shooting to a new level. Haven't used it in the day, but it is amazing what is around you and you don't realize. Foxes, rabbit, hedgehog, woodcock and snipe, that you would have never known.

For what I wanted it's great, see foxes hundreds of yards away, once you get accustomed to what is " hot " living and what is " hot " inanimate, e.g. large stone heated up from daytime.

Weather conditions affect viewing, damp, cold nights are not as good as dry warm nights.

One thing I would change is batteries. I have never run out of battery time as such, but did once have no charge and would not switch on, which I can only assume I did not turn off and it was left on standby and ran out. So for me external battery option is a good feature.

I have never looked through any other thermal, so 19mm as entry level is great.

Wait for black Friday sales and you'll save about £100 .

Thanks for the information, i have a wulf4k night scope and always leave a battery bank in my rifle bag incase it needs charging why im out. There only small and you can pick them up of amazon for less than £20, its worth having one handy. 

1 hour ago, 30-6 said:

Oh, didn't realize that. Wrong side of 60 for modern gadgets.

Good heads up, cheers.

Does it give a fast charge ? If so is that bad for the internal battery ?

Its definitely worth having one.  No its not a fast charge it's the same as plugging into a usb socket at home.   You can use the original lead that comes with the thermal unit and just plug that into the battery pack.

1 hour ago, ShootingEgg said:

In middle of my shoot at moment doing some feeding will let you know when I'm home

Thank you, much appreciated. 

Edited by Downesy