No spare wheel with new cars

treetree

On 25/11/2022 at 19:06, 39TDS said:

All these cars with no spare wheel has enabled the roads department to remove the hard shoulder as it isn't needed for tyre changing any more.

So how does that equate to the fact that if you've got a flat you still have to stop the car and attempt to pump up the wheel wth a toy compressor or the fact that if for some reason you can't inflate The tyre you are stuck waiting for recovery.?  Generally if you've got good newish tyres then you don't get punctures. But if you do get a flat it probably have a wrecked tyre.

On 25/11/2022 at 20:10, Jega said:

I have been buying a spare for the last 3-4 cars i have bought ,just don't feel right not having one and hearing lots of horror stories about tyre repair sealers /inflators .

Apparently garages wont repair the tyre once the sealant has been used as the time taken to remove the gunk and clean the inside of the tyre makes it an uneconomical repair for them .

They all say that because the majority of customers haven't got the nounce to argue the point or the ability to strip, clean,  mend ,rebalance and refit the wheel.

A more difficult situation is that vehicle tyres are so large and heavy nowadays that no women and a majority of blokes haven't got the strength to get the spare out of the bottom of the boot and then get the roadwheel off of the disc rotor. One of the daughters had a Ford KA and called me up.....  "DADDY, I've got a puncture.  So! I  replied well sort it out.  OH GO ON DADDY,  COME AND HELP ME,  I'M ONLY A COUPLE OF MILES AWAY".   Bloody hell,  me again.  Well she had gotten the car off the road on a side drive so I  jacked it up and went to remove the road wheel.  Some clown had used a rattle gun on the wheelnuts and luckily I had a long lever wrench and an impact hex socket.  There is no way that Joe motorist would be able to shift the nuts with the car supplied wrenchl  When I'd gotten the nuts off I had to use a club/lump hammer on the rim, rotating the wheel to get the roadwheel to move.  In General terms there are virtually no motorists who would be able to change that wheel.  Nowadays she is shod with a Nissan x-trail diesel.  Changing a wheel for her would be a non starter.  She just wouldn't have the physical strength to man handle a wheel or to refit one considering you need a shovel to lift the wheel to enable alignment of the wheel to stud holes  and that would be on the drive at home not on the side of the road somewhere in the rain and the dark with cars and lorries zooming past.

On 26/11/2022 at 13:47, ph5172 said:

I always advise anyone to purchase a spare. associated jack and brace either full or space saver. Anything to get you off the side of the road and home or to somewhere warm. 

Also removing your wheels every now and again to stop them sticking to the hub and a slither of high temp grease  as a spare is of no use if you need a 12ib lump hammer to se bond it 

Yes.  Sledge hammer.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Minky said:

So how does that equate to the fact that if you've got a flat you still have to stop the car and attempt to pump up the wheel wth a toy compressor or the fact that if for some reason you can't inflate The tyre you are stuck waiting for recovery.?

It doesn't.

I was being sarcastic as no spare wheel and no hard shoulder are about as stupid as each other.