No spare wheel with new cars

treetree

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Wymondley said:

About 5 or 6 years ago for ours (Suzuki).

Space saver spare is an option at about £250 for the kit, wheel & tyre, additional tools and different boot trim.

It cuts down cost and it's a weight saving.

Helps with the fuel saving and emissions nonsense.

Most vehicles end their life with an unused spare, but I agree, it's not how often you need it it's how much you need you when you do.

And also (its not the main reason  but its a consideration) when the car is finally scrapped the twelve year old spare tyre gets sold as a part worn/ secondhand tyre.

Tyres that old are generally not regarded as being safe anymore because the rubber will have hardened with age.

The law in many countries makes refitting tyres illegal but for some reason it has not happened here. 

There was a proposal to include tyre age (6 years?) In the mot a few years back but it never happened for some reason.

My 2017 Renault had no spare wheel when I bought it only a can and pump.

i bought an unused s/h space saver wheel and sorted a jack.

Never had to use a spare wheel in my life but always had one and felt naked without one.

You are advised to limit your speed when using a space saver wheel and get burst tyre repaired / changed asap.

2 hours ago, treetree said:

This was confirmed to me by the tyre man regarding the side wall. It also won't work if the air is really peeing out anywhere else.

There is also the fact that if you do decide to limp to the tyre place on your flat, then they will probably refuse to repair the tyre 

The flat tyre may also break the bead seal so the inflator won't work anyway.

People should also be aware that the space saver is only an emergency wheel intended to get you to the nearest tyre garage. It is not supposed to allow you to continue on your journey

So in many ways a space saver only buys you a bit of an advantage but doesn't prevent you getting stranded till the garage opens or can order your tyre

However, we have all seen cars driving round for weeks on space savers. I have even been overtaken on the motorway by them on occasions. 

14 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, if anyone can remember a few years back on PW there was a post on a tyre repair kit, off eBay and I'm sure many bought one, just in case 🤔 well a few months back  my front tyre kept going down and I found a nail right in the middle of tread, so after a struggle to get the wheel off I followed instructions left and hour or 2 wheel back on and it's been perfect ever since, kit was less than a fiver, for anyone interested, eBay 264191305944

15 hours ago, simonm said:

I had a flat the other week on my Hilux and used a Holts tyre weld to get it to the tyre place for repair. It is water based so can be wiped off the tyre so it can still be plugged.

As we live in the sticks I bought 3 on Amazon, one for each car and a spare for in the garage and they were only about £9 each. 

Thanks for these 2 suggestions. Ordered both. 🙂

15 hours ago, simonm said:

I had a flat the other week on my Hilux and used a Holts tyre weld to get it to the tyre place for repair. It is water based so can be wiped off the tyre so it can still be plugged.

As we live in the sticks I bought 3 on Amazon, one for each car and a spare for in the garage and they were only about £9 each. 

No spare? Mine has one slung under the rear tub.

I can not believe that folks drive around without a proper spare wheel,I might even suggest that they don't even really need a car if they do. All my Suzuki vitaras have been ordered with a spare wheel, not a pretend wheel, and I have had about 6 punctures over the past 13 years. The space for a proper tyre is still there in the boot. The only down side for me at 76 years old is that the tyre is a trifle heavy to female handle but if you make an effort at the side of the road some kindly soul usually  comes and gives me a lift with it.. The AA will not come out to fields so at least I make the best of the situation before it turns into one.... from Auntie.

18 hours ago, gamekeeper1960 said:

Well if only I'd had a can of tyre weld would have been handy, but this afternoon I had a puncture in my van and its a bad day when you drop the spare wheel and its as flat as the one that was on....😏

That’s not a bad day, it’s bad maintenance.

When they first came out I went to a dealers to buy a brand new, top of the range Skoda Kodiaq. Looking round one in the showroom, I had to ask where the spare wheel lived. On being told it was not an option I walked away. Twelve months later it became an option. 

We bought a new Honda and all it had was a 12v compressor and a container of tyre goo that you plugged onto the compressor.  There was no Jack or even a wheel nut wrench.  I asked about the cost of a get you home and / or a new spare wheel.  No get home sold and if I wanted an alloy road wheel complete,. With tyre,  I think that this was over £500.!!. as previously written ,when do yòu every really need a spare.?ŕ. I really wanted a spare so Icmesured the pad and looked up what vehicles had the same pcd and dish depth.  I found that a Rover 75 was the same. Armed with this info I headed off to a scrap yard. They did have a few Honda get homes but these were so small that it would be like fitting a wheelbarrow wheel.  The ole boys there said that they thought that there was a 75 up The end of the yard.  After a bit of rummaging around I  found it and the spare was like it had just been sold like new.  I emptied the boot of the wheel which is the same road wheel size, a Jack + handle, a warning triangle, a nut wrench, a set of wheelnuts, a tow rope and a can of Holts foam stuff and a small fire extinguisher.   The ole boys took £12.  The wheel fitted on the studs correctly and the dish was clear of brake pipes and the caliper so I was equipped.   I don't expect to use any of it but if it does go wrong I'm  equipped. I did ask the main dealer the form with the compressor and tyre good if the tyre couldn't be pumped up in the event of a cut tyre.  The dealer just said I'd have to call out a tyre company.  Great waiting for hours on the side of the road in the dark, wet and freezing cold as would be the way.

Edited by Minky

18 minutes ago, Minky said:

The dealer just said I'd have to call out a tyre company.  Great waiting for hours on the side of the road in the dark, wet and freezing cold as would be the way.

My son waited three days before a new tyre could be fitted to his BMW M Sport this year. The car was 100 miles from home and he had his wife and 18 month old daughter in the car. Her dad had to come out and rescue them. 

The mobile tyre company had to order the tyre specially  and the first one they came out with the wrong size because it was ordered by the registration number.

In the end it cost him a small fortune despite having full AA membership. 

He has since sold the car

Edited by Vince Green

I have been buying a spare for the last 3-4 cars i have bought ,just don't feel right not having one and hearing lots of horror stories about tyre repair sealers /inflators .

Apparently garages wont repair the tyre once the sealant has been used as the time taken to remove the gunk and clean the inside of the tyre makes it an uneconomical repair for them .

On 24/11/2022 at 22:49, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, if anyone can remember a few years back on PW there was a post on a tyre repair kit, off eBay and I'm sure many bought one, just in case 🤔 well a few months back  my front tyre kept going down and I found a nail right in the middle of tread, so after a struggle to get the wheel off I followed instructions left and hour or 2 wheel back on and it's been perfect ever since, kit was less than a fiver, for anyone interested, eBay 264191305944

I've not had a car since 2013 that came with a spare wheel, 2013 was my first ever brand new car although I've had used cars for over 50 years. I've now had 3 new cars.

I bought one of those kits and they work, but are only a get you home jobby. I was informed (no idea on the truth) they are illegal to run on. I found mine invaluable to not only get me home whilst towing the caravan but to the tyre man the next day. I used the kit with the sealant that Volvo supplied.

November last year I bought a Toyota RAV4 4x4 hybrid and low and behold it comes with a proper spare, jack etc. Although I always put in my own bottle jack and large breaker bar.

Tyre man says a lot of manufacturers are now returning to full size spare wheels although don't always include jack or brace.

29 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I'm not sure on the legality of continual use of a tyre that's been repaired with a diy plug in kit bit it seems better the that internal tyre glue, your actually plugging the hole, is that what a tyre repair garage would do ? 

I believe the internal stuff actually melts the rubber causing it to self seal. That's why the tyre men don't repair if you've used it.

The plugs are used in lorries and tractors to name just two and are legal for road use, but then again so is re cutting of tread. Maybe they're not for car use because of amateur use or because they'd probably be used as front steers without another thought.

15 minutes ago, London Best said:

Which is about as much use as t*ts to a nun!

A 6" long wheel brace and a tiny scissor jack is the equivalent of t*ts on a nun, there but useless and dangerous to touch! 😉

I always advise anyone to purchase a spare. associated jack and brace either full or space saver. Anything to get you off the side of the road and home or to somewhere warm. 

Also removing your wheels every now and again to stop them sticking to the hub and a slither of high temp grease  as a spare is of no use if you need a 12ib lump hammer to se bond it 

A few years ago, I bought a spare wheel for my wife's car. I didn't consider where it would go. No recess in the boot - it had to be slung under the car on a metal cradle. problem was that there was no cradle and they cost £400ish from Vauxhall. Ended up carrying the spare wheel in the boot, which restricted storage and shopping.

On 24/11/2022 at 20:36, treetree said:

I've just discovered that the 19 plate car I drive doesn't come with a spare wheel.

I discovered this at the least opportune moment when I found my tyre flat. I searched everywhere for the wheel, but all I could find was an electric tyre inflator and some sealant attachment, both of which have not worked.

When did cars stop coming with spare wheels? This is a total madness. How is this progress?

Progress !!!......the idiots have taken over good and proper now,i think we`re in the regression cycle , with decisions taken by people that only drive desks and computers.

Edited by matone

On 24/11/2022 at 21:41, steve_b_wales said:

I didn't have a spare wheel on my new Dacia Duster when I bought it, but was given an emergency kit (foam to seal any holes in the tyre). I paid £160 for a spare wheel but had the wheel carrier (under the boot) free.

Must check to see if I have one in my Duster once the garage sort the computer out which almost stranded me on the A14 on Tuesday afternoon. Not a place to breakdown I can tell you.  It fired up again and I limped home.

There is and always has been a question over the legality of space savers and people are not aware of it.

It is illegal to have wheels /tyres of different sizes on the same axle. That is the law of the land and nothing the car manufactures may say does anything to over rule that law.

Just because you are given one doesn't mean its legal to drive on it.  Limping down the hard shoulder with your hazards on to get off the motorway is about as all its intended for.