No spare wheel with new cars

treetree

I've just discovered that the 19 plate car I drive doesn't come with a spare wheel.

I discovered this at the least opportune moment when I found my tyre flat. I searched everywhere for the wheel, but all I could find was an electric tyre inflator and some sealant attachment, both of which have not worked.

When did cars stop coming with spare wheels? This is a total madness. How is this progress?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine is a lot older and that didn't have a spare wheel neither , rather than risk getting a flat well off the beaten track I bought a spare wheel off the bay , the recess in the boot wasn't quite deep enough so I put a tile batten under the board in the back and its been there ever since , just gives you a peace of mind .

13 minutes ago, treetree said:

When did cars stop coming with spare wheels?

About 5 or 6 years ago for ours (Suzuki).

Space saver spare is an option at about £250 for the kit, wheel & tyre, additional tools and different boot trim.

1 minute ago, Dougy said:

Its so you can fit another bag of shopping in. 

It cuts down cost and it's a weight saving.

Helps with the fuel saving and emissions nonsense.

Most vehicles end their life with an unused spare, but I agree, it's not how often you need it it's how much you need you when you do.

30 minutes ago, treetree said:

I've just discovered that the 19 plate car I drive doesn't come with a spare wheel.

I discovered this at the least opportune moment when I found my tyre flat. I searched everywhere for the wheel, but all I could find was an electric tyre inflator and some sealant attachment, both of which have not worked.

When did cars stop coming with spare wheels? This is a total madness. How is this progress?

Well if only I'd had a can of tyre weld would have been handy, but this afternoon I had a puncture in my van and its a bad day when you drop the spare wheel and its as flat as the one that was on....😏

1 hour ago, Dougy said:

They stopped putting them in quite a few years ago and as you found out you have a tyre weld can or whatever chucked in. Then the tyre is not reparable (apparently). 

Its so you can fit another bag of shopping in. 

I had a flat the other week on my Hilux and used a Holts tyre weld to get it to the tyre place for repair. It is water based so can be wiped off the tyre so it can still be plugged.

As we live in the sticks I bought 3 on Amazon, one for each car and a spare for in the garage and they were only about £9 each. 

I have been buying spare wheels for the last half a dozen cars. Tyre sealants are adequate if the puncture is in a convenient place (in the tread) or you are in a non-remote area.

A mate's Skoda tyre blew out in Scotland. Neither he nor his wife could get a phone signal. A passing motorist took him to a local garage, who recovered his car and fitted a new tyre. Forget Wee Jimmy Krankie - the Scots were as friendly and helpful as we have always found them.

Not just the spare wheel you need, but a wheel brace and jack, which he now carries. 

42 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

I didn't have a spare wheel on my new Dacia Duster when I bought it, but was given an emergency kit (foam to seal any holes in the tyre). I paid £160 for a spare wheel but had the wheel carrier (under the boot) free.

I bought my Duster in 2021 and opted for the spare wheel option. Had need to use it the other week. It is a “proper” tyre, not one of those “get you home” type spares. I would never opt for the inflator type system. 
I have to say I enjoy my Duster. Good spec. Cheap as chips. What’s not to like about it ? (Tin hat on ready for abuse😎)

Hello, if anyone can remember a few years back on PW there was a post on a tyre repair kit, off eBay and I'm sure many bought one, just in case 🤔 well a few months back  my front tyre kept going down and I found a nail right in the middle of tread, so after a struggle to get the wheel off I followed instructions left and hour or 2 wheel back on and it's been perfect ever since, kit was less than a fiver, for anyone interested, eBay 264191305944

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

I wouldn't used a repaired tyre on a front wheel, but a properly repaired tyre on the rear. I have a tyre changing machine in the garage - for motocross tyres - but the bead breaker is okay for car wheels. Car tyres are a doddle compared to motocross tyres. I have the repair kit which you cover in glue and poke through the tyre from the outside and the mushroom type which you insert from the inside. After doing a couple of trailer wheels in the past, I fitted four new tyres and filled them with  "Slime" - a liquid with fibres in it - it seals rims and punctures.

8 hours ago, Bobba said:

I bought my Duster in 2021 and opted for the spare wheel option. Had need to use it the other week. It is a “proper” tyre, not one of those “get you home” type spares. I would never opt for the inflator type system. 
I have to say I enjoy my Duster. Good spec. Cheap as chips. What’s not to like about it ? (Tin hat on ready for abuse😎)

I agree with regard to the D. Duster. Line is a 1300 petrol and I love it. I do miss my Freelander 2 TD4 that I bought new and had for 13 years though. As mentioned, I bought a 'proper' tyre and when I picked up the car, the emergency 'inflation' kit was missing, so I requested it and had it. I don't intend using it but it was part of the package I paid for, so I was entitled to it. I don't use the Duster 'off road' apart from parking on dirt/hardcore tracks. I'm getting around 45-48 to the gallon, which is good considering all the hills and stop starts I face everyday. One thing I don't like is that I can't adjust the speed/timing for the intermittent wiper. Sometimes it's too slow but there's not enough rain for the wipers to be on constant.

Edited by steve_b_wales

9 hours ago, marsh man said:

How true this is I don't know , but I was told if the split is in the side of the tire then the sealant don't work , and the break down services such as the AA won't come to you if you haven't got a spare , Is this a true fact ?

This was confirmed to me by the tyre man regarding the side wall. It also won't work if the air is really peeing out anywhere else.

There is also the fact that if you do decide to limp to the tyre place on your flat, then they will probably refuse to repair the tyre 

9 hours ago, Bobba said:

I have a 2019  petrol 4x4  love it , has full size spares wheel . Its a goldish colour  some of My friends don't like the colour,  but it does not show the muck up as other colours . A great car ,I  live two mile of main road .

11 hours ago, Wymondley said:

About 5 or 6 years ago for ours (Suzuki).

Space saver spare is an option at about £250 for the kit, wheel & tyre, additional tools and different boot trim.

It cuts down cost and it's a weight saving.

Helps with the fuel saving and emissions nonsense.

Most vehicles end their life with an unused spare, but I agree, it's not how often you need it it's how much you need you when you do.

I saw there's quite a few unused 'new' spare tyres, some on unused spare wheels for X-trails on ebay which confirms that fact.

1 hour ago, treetree said:

This was confirmed to me by the tyre man regarding the side wall. It also won't work if the air is really peeing out anywhere else.

There is also the fact that if you do decide to limp to the tyre place on your flat, then they will probably refuse to repair the tyre 

Many THANKS :good: