Leica Binoculars

chrisjpainter

Anyone out there using Leicas? I'm thinking of upgrading mine to either the Trinovid HD or the Ultravids. Has anyone got any experiences of either or preferably both that can help me decide if the Ultras are worth the extra? This is mostly for birding and are often used in conjunction with my scope. I'm 90% sure it'll be 8x32 and 99% sure I don't want to look at any other brand. I have some Trinovids now and have been so happy with them. They're comfortable in the hand and the weight suits me!

Unfortunately trying out a pair of either down here isn't an option, so I want to get as much donkey work done first before I commit to takin a trip to try some out. 

Many thanks

Chris

I have use Leica and have a pair of 10x32 Trinovid.  A good few years old now, but they have been very good.  Do also look at the 8x20 Ultravid (or Trinovid) - as they are very good and much lighter and more convenient and very adequate 90% of the time.  Main snag of the 8 x 20 is the smaller field of view.

IMG_3631.jpeg

1 minute ago, JohnfromUK said:

I have use Leica and have a pair of 10x32 Trinovid.  A good few years old now, but they have been very good.  Do also look at the 8x20 Ultravid (or Trinovid) - as they are very good and much lighter and more convenient and very adequate 90% of the time.  Main snag of the 8 x 20 is the smaller field of view.

IMG_3631.jpeg

This is the generation I have, but in 8x32. I'd love to know the upgrade from Trinovid to Trinovid HD. Just to see where the biggest incremental improvement is. If it's a small improvement in glass to the HD's then I'd be tempted to skip them and go for the Ultravids, but if it's a big initial step, I'm not sure I'd benefit too much more going beyond the Trinovid HD's

1 minute ago, chrisjpainter said:

I'd love to know the upgrade from Trinovid to Trinovid HD.

I have a feeling it was just better coatings, but Google may give you more.  Below is a comparison with the 8 x 20s (Ultravids).  Their smaller size makes them so much easier to have with you much more of the time.  I have a basic (non Leica) pouch for them and they are truly pocket.

IMG_3632.jpeg

I suspect that sales of binos in January might be a bit slow in which case they might have a bit of time for a natter if you ring Cley Spy 01263 740088 - they have really good knowledge of which binos for birding and as an aside if ever anyone wants a spotting scope for target shooting it is always worth asking whet they have in their back room for cash.

Have used Ls for 30+ yrs. Previously I had some zeiss 7x42s, a good bin but didn't feel completely comfortable in use, and then I met a stalker who made an offer ....

First were 8x32 Trinos (15yrs) and now 8x42 Ts.  I also have some 8x20 Ts for whenever.

Using the 8x32 Ts by starlight I was able to pick out springbok and impala that I couldn't see without the bins ....  probably would still happily have them if I hadn't been made an offer which ....

When replacing the 8x32s I spent a pleasant day at Cley Spy comparing makes, models and Xs and bought the 8x42s trins.

I don't remember HDs being available then but I did try Ultravids several times, they're very good but I never felt the need. Given that most of my usage is now in daylight and going from x32 to x42 was clearly brighter and compensated for (some of) the age effect.

I was told that any benefit of the glass and coatings was at dawn and dusk and in terms of extra minutes of viewing time. So it's probably best to test them under the conditions your going to use them in because at this end of the market all of them seem good in clear daylight.

If this is any use, my missus bought me a used pair of ultra vids from a posh camera shop ten years ago. I have bashed them about ever since while pigeon shooting, thrown them into the between seat box with two way radios and all sorts of crud in there and they are absolutely bullet proof. Well, apart from when I reversed up to my hide and squashed them into the ground! 
Sent them to Leica at a posh address in London with a letter of praise etc. man rang me and said he’d never seen such a badly treated item, then replaced the broken centre cover panel and one of the extending eye cover bits( I don’t know the proper name) rang me later and said “ I suppose where you live means you don’t want to pay ( Yorkshire)” Anyway, these are Lecia and WE give proper service so no charge!!”   I find them perfect for pigeon spotting without even feeling the weight round my neck and would buy exactly the same if these ever went missing.

ps, I’m 77 so no idea how to send a pic of them.

Hiya

This mob may be able to help you with their reviews (all in laboratory so benchmrks all same).............. it will (as always) come down to your eyes and their preferences, at the times of day you use them most.

https://www.allbinos.com/

I have, every so often wanted to change to newer models - bitterly regret letting go my recently serviced 40yrs old Swarovski 7x42SL's for the newer SLC's - my eyes are not what they were and the handling not right for me after all those years with the SL's.

The fall-back pair, another good idea at the time, Zeiss 10x42 Victory - only used 5? times (3 in garden looking a a sparrowhawk being mobbed) - dont work me.

L

27 minutes ago, Loki said:

I have, every so often wanted to change to newer models - bitterly regret letting go

I have to own up to having 4 sets of Leicas - and the reason for that is that I hate to 'let go' - and what's more, the trade in price is often disappointing.  As you have implied, what you are used to (in handling and 'feel') is important.

My original Leicas (badged Leitz and pictured below) were bought 2nd hand about 30 years ago.  They are Trinovid 10 x 40.  Unfortunately, they cannot be used with glasses (which I now have to wear full time), and also the eye cups have deteriorated and are no longer available.

They were replaced by the excellent 10 x 32 Trinovids pictured a few posts above - which are my current 'full size' and I have probably had them 10 years +.  I find the x 32 size works really well under all normal daylight conditions and is light and convenient.  The eye relief is OK (just) with my glasses.

I must at some stage have had more money than sense because I added a set of 10 x 50 Trinovids.  Whilst great, they are far to heavy for normal use and I only use them occasionally (recently for watching a barn owl that has moved in locally).  For my 66 year old eyes, I doubt my pupil can make full use of them and can't see anything being materially better in low light (I have never looked through anything that was better for me).

Finally, the 8 x 20 Ultravids - which are only slightly compromised optically (field of view mainly) and so, so convenient.  They are also really good for their size in low(ish) light.

IF I ever need serious magnification, I was lucky enough many years ago to get a Gray & Co stalking telescope, which is a serious long range viewer!

IMG_3644.jpeg

Great bins Leica. I bought the 7x42 in 1999. They've stood the test of time. The black 8x42's were my fathers and I inherited them when he passed away 8 years ago.

I've shouldered plenty of newer models from other leader makers as well as newer Leica and honestly I haven't looked through any that I thought were optically better. Yes the newer models are a lot lighter in weight but for me this isn't a key consideration. To my mind optics aren't the sort of thing to be swapping in and changing for the sake of it. Very expensive thing to do with Binoculars. Buy once I say. 

This pair are 'keepers. 

Leicatwo.jpg