Best food for working Labrador

semi-auto

You will get as many answers to this as there are manufacturers. I can only tell you what I feed my dogs who work on the hill picking up three days a week plus wildfowling. 

Two are on Arkwrights beef and hold there weight well throughout the season. A number of pals use the same.

my youngest dog, see my picture of him retrieving a partridge is a fussy eater and slim build. He was not maintaining condition on Arkwrights so is on Dr Johns Platinum and that has done the trick

my pup is on Harrington’s puppy turkey and rice and thriving. He will probably go onto the platinum at twelve months and Arkwrights when fully grown.

Hope this helps.

You need to find a food that suits your dog as an individual. 

Some dogs do absolutely fine on the cheapest stuff, others do well on wheat free / hypo-allergenic stuff. 

Mine didn’t handle lots of foods including the most expensive stuff … but did the best on CSJ tripe for about £25 for a sack, also on dog and field Utility at £28 a sack. 

My other dog though does best on Dog and Field salmon and sweet potato at bloody £48 a sack. 

On 13/01/2023 at 19:07, Dave at kelton said:

You will get as many answers to this as there are manufacturers. I can only tell you what I feed my dogs who work on the hill picking up three days a week plus wildfowling. 

Two are on Arkwrights beef and hold there weight well throughout the season. A number of pals use the same.

my youngest dog, see my picture of him retrieving a partridge is a fussy eater and slim build. He was not maintaining condition on Arkwrights so is on Dr Johns Platinum and that has done the trick

my pup is on Harrington’s puppy turkey and rice and thriving. He will probably go onto the platinum at twelve months and Arkwrights when fully grown.

Hope this helps.

Do you feed raw?

8 hours ago, Krico woodcock said:

Do you feed raw?

No, when I first started over forty years ago I fed minced tripe but haven’t done so for over thirty years. I have a few pals here who did and all have stopped. Modern foods are so well balanced I really do not see any need although it is an emotive subject for some.

2 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

No, when I first started over forty years ago I fed minced tripe but haven’t done so for over thirty years. I have a few pals here who did and all have stopped. Modern foods are so well balanced I really do not see any need although it is an emotive subject for some.

I tried raw, tried several different suppliers. The food you got was never consistent, bone content etc all varied, plus it was a nightmare if you wanted to stay away from home and take the dog, storing etc. 

Since finding a kibble that the dog does really well on, he seems to have better stools than when on raw, as the raw was so inconsistent. 

Adding raw in (I know some say you shouldn't mix, but our stomach's and dog's are always mixing stuff), when it suits can be quite good I think, eg tripe to kibble or chicken wings/carcasses.