Browning T-Bolt .17hmr Bolt

chapperz1991

I took the T-Bolt out today to zero for the first time in a long time today. My new years resolution is to do more shooting after having a 3 and a bit year hiatus (children, covid etc.). Now, I had 2 boxes of Hornady 17grains that have been in the cabinet all that time and I had a few no fires - cartridge was marked by the pin but no bang. I thought it may have been a one off but happened 3 more times. Decided to switch over to some new Winchester's I bought last week and has exactly the same issue with a few rounds. I took out the culprits, inspected and retried. One of them took 2 attempts to fire. My thinking is a sticky firing pin, any idea how to strip the bolt for a good clean & oil as suspect it is gummed up after all this time sitting idle (never had issues before).

I had similar this time last year on a relatively new, little used Sauer .223, so whether it was cold and thick lube in bolt or dodgy primers don't know. Ammo was 2 Hornady super performance out of the same box.

Been okay since, but haven't been out for a while recently due to bad weather. I to like yourself could find no advice on stripping bolt. If I remember correctly, my CZ 452 rimmy come with a dvd on how to strip bolt.

On 18/01/2023 at 14:17, Rewulf said:

IIRC the Tbolt leaves a pretty good strike on the rim, if this is the case , its hardly likely to be the rifle.

There were very good strikes on all the rims that didn't go off first time round which is what had me some what perplexed. 2 different ammo types. Does the cold have much effect on ignition? The guns and ammo are stored in a cold area plus it was pretty chilly Sunday!?

On 18/01/2023 at 15:33, RyanMc said:

You could potentially spray some degreaser into the bolt let it sit, blow it out and re-lube it with something light and see if its a bolt or ammo issue.

Thanks for this. I think I will give the bolt a good service and clean to eliminate this as the culprit.

13 hours ago, chapperz1991 said:

There were very good strikes on all the rims that didn't go off first time round which is what had me some what perplexed. 2 different ammo types. Does the cold have much effect on ignition? The guns and ammo are stored in a cold area plus it was pretty chilly Sunday!?

How many go off after a 2nd strike ?
Sounds like the ammo to me , powder temps can affect burn , but the priming compound shouldnt be affected by cold to the point it wont ignite.
If you can , take it back and quizz them on the batch