Chrome lined barrels Browning/miroku

freddie d

4 hours ago, freddie d said:

I am aware that the Browning 525 has chrome lined barrels which give it a slight edge for pitting etc. I was wondering what Miroku models have this,

Do the MK38 have this? 

Do the older 3800's have this also?

Cheers

All of the new models have chrome lined barrels, and those manufactured from a certain year onwards. Can’t tell you precisely what year it was, but probably late 1990s to early 2000s. Somebody might be able to tell you the actual year..?

I can categorically state that the 3800's did not have chromed barrels unsure of which year the MK series adopted chrome barrels but it was the same time they adopted the 'sleeved' system of barrel making, prior to that they used the 'chopper lump' system.  The older Miroku guns were renowned for internal rusting in the barrels, especially near the chambers. I had a 3800 trap that would be rusty in the breech area by the time I had got home from the shooting ground, approximately an hour  !

Browning guns are definitely more prone to rusting than others. When I had a browning cynergy it would rust in front of my eyes on a wet game day. Wiped off easily and didn't leave marks. My miroku MK60 from a similar vintage (2003) doesn't seem quite as bad but does still rust if neglected. My Beretta DT 10 on the other hand almost seems like stainless by comparison. Both those browning/ mirokus has chromed barrels so no issues there.

My main gun these days is a Browning 525 which was made in 2008 - and it’s been out in every type of weather imaginable. Glad to say I’ve never seen a single spec of rust on it. Similar for later Mirokus. I’m pretty sure it’s just the older ones which don’t have chrome lined barrels. 

My Miroku 7000 with date code PP from 1988 did not receive much care or oil from its previous owner but shows no rust at all.
The bores are not chromed but polished to a mirror finish that still shows today, regardless of the thousands of steel shot charges that went through them. The coin finish on the receiver is also better than that on the newer models in the way that it does not stain from sweaty hands on hot Summer days. Neither did it shoot loose in all those years. All in all I believe these earlier Miroku shotguns were built to higher quality standards than the MK series that followed them.

I agree entirely, the earlier Miroku guns were far better than the current versions, but they were not entirely without their foibles. 

I currently use a ProSport for clayshooting and I do look after my guns, but at the breech end of the barrels where the rib is joined, there are 2 thin lines of rust along each side of the rib, on the joints. Every time I clean the gun after use, I take a Woodcock pin feather and use it to apply a thin line of Lucas red grease along both joints. Just a small but annoying problem.