Advice please new scope for over limit AA S410 Xtra

old man

15 hours ago, Mice! said:

My guess is the scopes you've looked through weren't set up for you, eye relief,  focus little things that you'd mess with when setting up, but not when it's on someone else's gun.

For what it's worth I'm really impressed with the Optisan EVE 4-16x44pi I've got on my R10, really clear great ret, but I was surprised by the size and weight of it being a 30mm tube.

Suits you well bud.

I decided to stick with what I have as nothing wrong with Nikko and most of my targets are very mobile at varying distances so would need auto focus to beat present set up.

I have a Hawke on another S200, not overly impressed with the clarity compared to a Milbro cheapie on my go to that took the last 9.

On 21/03/2023 at 21:01, London Best said:

Everyone seems to recommend Hawke scopes. 

Why have I never looked through one which has impressed me? 

Ever!

Hawke

I have five of them and a lot of meat has fallen over, from silver medal wild boar to sniffy little tree rats, to a 900 lb Nilgai bull to a fox through my addon night attachment.  Can't fault them great value for money against the German/Austrian rip offs.  

I already told the story a few years back of a pair of Chinon binos I purchased for £60 and was sat in a high seat with a guide who had a similar in fact identical pair but in black rubber. The moulding lines on each was exactly the same. He said his where a well know top German set  which he had been given by a German client and retailed at about £400. He was astounded at how identical apart from the rubber cover colouring and the performace in the field.  The only other manufacturer I have found to be satisfactory was Leopold, I had a pair of their binos which right from scratch did not meet the standard I expected. I sent them back and they sent me a brand new set which worked perfectly, no hesitation. You get a similar response from Hawke.

I shot in the HFT Worlds in 2014.  Three of the class winners used Hawke Panoramas.  I fitted one to my HFT rig and all my hunting airguns as a result. They still give great results.

The basic model Hawkes in comparison are very poor, they only really come good in the mid-range upwards IMHO.   MTC are awful for white-out and glare at any price.

Nikon are OK, but Nikko-Sterling are bargain basement stuff in the lower ranges.  I do have a couple of Gold Line 80s scopes that perform well still though.  

Minox ZL3 budget range are good value.  Very clear to my eyes at least, but a proprietary reticle.  

The thing is that YOU need to look through what you are interested in.  

Yep, very good advice.  For top competition then you need the best that suits your needs but for poppong tree rats at 30yrds you don't necessarily need that quality. Go look through a few and then make your mind up.

I have used a Hawke scope on my 375JDJ (444Marlin necked down) which will hurt if you don't hold it firmly and the scope has withstood that recoil no problem. Only ever had one problem and on contacting the repair department was told that I had purchased this scope a long time ago and was not worth repairing they offered me a new model at a 50% discount which I accepted.

I use three Leupolds and a Schmidt and Bender. Two of the Leups are from the 1980’s, one from the ‘90’s. They never let you down. I did look at Leupold binos, but declined to buy them. The Schmidt was a very old one, 4x36, bought secondhand for £30 in the ‘90’s. Schmidt’s serviced it free of charge. Then I had it on my .375 H&H magnum and it was the best scope of the bunch.
Someone gave me a Nikon, which is currently on my 22 rf, but I find it poor. 
My two Weihrauchs have an Optima from 1979 on the HW35E and a Bushmaster on the 1984 Venom tuned HW77K. Both are ‘adequate’ for purpose. 
Very likely the Hawkes I have experienced were their lower range models, I don’t know. 
As Wharf Rat said, the only MTC I have used was awful for white out and glare. 
When I bought my 22Hornet it came with a Nikko Sterling. That was useless and soon had to be replaced by a Leupold.

Edited by London Best

Just to add another brand I was impressed for with clarity is the Riton scopes. I`d have to find out what model it was, but the sight picture was alot clearer on a 1200 yd range we shot up to than my mates Vortex. I know we are only talking about a scope for an fac air rifle, but they impressed me enough to look at buying one when my variation comes in.

• 3 weeks later...