New Phone Contract

Blackpowder

Yesterday a phone call on my old cheapo phone the content seemed to suggest that I was renewing my 02 contract.   Not so is an outfit called,' Clear Vision Communications"  .  The fact that it took best part of 2 hours and umpteen  calls from them should have put me on alert.  Now I have CVC for 24 months like it or not. Worse of all 02 cut me off today and no sign of new sim card.

Blackpowder

Distance selling regulations and cooling off periods! I dont know the ins and outs of it but I’m sure others will be able to advise and google is your friend.
Maybe get in touch with o2 and explain the situation that you thought it was them and you where renewing (effectively telling them you where scammed) they may be able to help. 

you can cancel it if you signed up less than 14 days ago..https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/phone-internet-downloads-or-tv/cancelling-a-phone-tv-internet-or-mobile-contract/

why don't you just use a sim only deal, no contracts and only a few £ monthly...https://www.moneysupermarket.com/mobile-phones/sim-only/

Edited by old'un

11 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Sim only deals seem to be the way to go. Choose and buy your own phone. Cancel or change tariff whenever it suits you.

yep, that's what I have been on for about 8 years, cost me £6 a month on a monthly contract and it does everything I need, if I am sending pictures I use WhatsApp and when you move provider you can take your number with you.

Last year for my renewal I had a 'cold call' from a provider I'd never heard of - who were both convincing and very persistent and claimed to be calling on behalf of and managing renewals for the BT/OpenReach/EE partnership (I was with BT).  It was I think the over persistent nature of the caller who initially triggered by 'red flag' warning.  Told them I would think about it  ....... and never heard from them again.

• 3 weeks later...
On 31/03/2023 at 14:45, Blackpowder said:

Yesterday a phone call on my old cheapo phone the content seemed to suggest that I was renewing my 02 contract.   Not so is an outfit called,' Clear Vision Communications"  .  The fact that it took best part of 2 hours and umpteen  calls from them should have put me on alert.  Now I have CVC for 24 months like it or not. Worse of all 02 cut me off today and no sign of new sim card.

Blackpowder

Talk about **** law as at mid night on the 31st ended up in hospital for a 6 night stay.  Thank goodness a relative who knows about phones arrived with a temporary sim card installed in my hand set, plus charger , plus earphones  and radio instructions.   It was only on the 17th that a replacement sim arrived, my friend installed but received a 'not valid' notice.   Down to phone calls and the firm were  easily contacted where I was told that the card had not yet been authorised but would be soon.  At last 21 days on I had the sim installed , kept my existing number so happy with that but still feel as if I had been conned by CVC's dubious selling methods.    

Blackpowder