Run flats?

Wylye

Ye you don't have to have run flats cars don't come with a spare tyre anymore or at least volkswagen cars don't just a can of tyre weld in the boot.

If you're after a full new set look at www.protyre.co.uk

They often have promo deals on with good discounts on top brand tyres they sometimes do a shopping voucher scheme as well if you buy say two or four tyres you get £20-£100 worth of vouchers for argos or sainsbury's etc. 

I've just booked one of the works vans in for mot this morning with them & got a £5 promo code off my mot so it came to £27.50 instead of the full price.

I have runflats (2007 BMW 3 series) and they are MUCH better in the more modern tyres.  The car originally came (near new) on Bridgestones.  Hard ride and tramlined somewhat.  When they wore out I moved to Michelins.  Very poor (I usually like Michelins).  Ride no better, and as they wore became very noisy (droning noise).  Next replacement, went back to the latest (3rd generation apparently) Bridgestones.  These ride well and are overall a good tyre.  I have had a flat - and the runflat capability worked fine and I had it repaired - and still driving on it now.  3 sets of tyres in 16 years is good going for a fairly high performance (it's a 335 model) car.

That’s interesting. You obviously like the car. I have an X3 3.0 M Sport and I’m finding the firm ride a bit tiresome as I grow older. I love the performance and the ground clearance is useful. I just think I might solve the problem with conventional tyres.

17 minutes ago, Wylye said:

That’s interesting. You obviously like the car.

I do like the car.  Its a 335D and I had it at 9 months old - and it's 16 years old now and nearing end of life (floorpan and subframe corrosion).  It is fast, economical and comfortable and has a nice old fashioned interior.  Mine has the 'basic' wheels (i.e. not wide) and is an SE model rather than an M-sport, but I think all 335's had the M-sport harder suspension.  I'm glad I took a 10 year warranty as it had a pile of repairs (particle filter, ABS brake system, inlet manifold, various cooling parts, turbo control module, various electrical gremlins) though I suspect most were poor electrical connections.  Dealers just change 'lumps' to the order of their diagnostic computer.

There is quite a lot of variation with specs; I had an X5 - and mine rode very nicely, but a friends (same year, but M sport version and even wider wheels) had a MUCH harder (and noisier) ride. 

That BMW six pot diesel is a fantastic motor. I had a 330D before this one and it had been remapped to 340bhp, what a machine that was! I’m the wrong side of 70 now but driving quick motors is still a pleasure - even if the ride is a bit hard!

I have them on a mini cooper s. (68plate) They are fine. Despite all the naysayers. The "hard-core" mini owners get rid straight away but to be honest I've driven a couple ,with and without the runflats and the difference  is negligible.  I hate the stupid pumps etc and if you have a proper puncture they are useless. 

Jasper.