28 bore / maker

simcgunner

got a  little 28 bore back action that received a nice restoration. and has been sleeved to shoot modern 2 3/4 loads. made by E.Chamberlain circa 1890.

possibly a gunsmith who bought good quality parts from the Birmingham trade, this gun has Purdey style bolting, Stanton rebounding lock and Greener leverwork. Any Info on maker Would be great fully appreciated.

Chamberlain 28.jpg

Chances are you will never find out . Birmingham had dozens of small shops who made guns to order in this period ,many who's names have been forgotten . Chamberlain may well have employed one shop or as was common practice he would have bought/had made a barrelled action ,bought the locks , taken it to a stocker , then  , engraver , hardener and finisher himself . As distance would have been an issue I would assume he employed one shop or had an a " errand runner" in Birmingham to do this for him  for him .

Thank you for the information I saw the post and the pictures that is amazing. As Gunman said I was unlikely to find much information on a small operation as Chamberlain. the Photo  of his storefront with the employees/relatives' standing in front of his  shop is more information than I expected. wonderful. A picture of the shop it most likely came from will accompany the gun when it passes on from my care and use. The new barrel sleeves were left with very tight chokes and a gunmaker i know opened them properly at my request so it may become my favorite woodcock chaser.  Again thank you Matone and Gunmaker.(picture from 2018 post)

E Chamberlain.jpg

17 minutes ago, simcgunner said:

Thank you for the information I saw the post and the pictures that is amazing. As Gunman said I was unlikely to find much information on a small operation as Chamberlain. the Photo  of his storefront with the employees/relatives' standing in front of his  shop is more information than I expected. wonderful. A picture of the shop it most likely came from will accompany the gun when it passes on from my care and use. The new barrel sleeves were left with very tight chokes and a gunmaker i know opened them properly at my request so it may become my favorite woodcock chaser.  Again thank you Matone and Gunmaker.(picture from 2018 post)

E Chamberlain.jpg

Wouldn’t it be great to go back in time and spend an hour in a shop like that .

Another E,Chamberlain for sale ,looks to be nice quality .

IMG_0770.jpeg

Edited by holloway
Adding picture