IR torch head size question.

30-6

Just a general question. But am about to order a 940 nm from Nightfox for the rats up to 20 yds.

But I expected the answer that Steve b gave. That although both head sizes have flood control and intensity control the bigger size would be able to offer a wider beam overall.

If the same LED is used with differing diameter and thickness aspheric lenses: The small point light source will be concentrated tighter in the larger lens at its sharpest focal distance.

Larger lens torches were made because their beams will penetrate further, mostly required for long range foxing.

For ratting at 20 ish yards a small aspheric/bifocal lens will project a wider more useful beam that fills the viewer more fully when focused to its tightest usually square beam.

EDIT: If you ask the question on the night vision forum, Bruce will explain it much better than I can.

Edited by Dave-G

3 hours ago, 30-6 said:

Just a general question. But am about to order a 940 nm from Nightfox for the rats up to 20 yds.

But I expected the answer that Steve b gave. That although both head sizes have flood control and intensity control the bigger size would be able to offer a wider beam overall.

Hello, I have the foxy 850, nice well made torch, I use flat top 18650, your 940 is said to be more covert so let me know how it goes as I will be getting one for winter shooting, cheers

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/06/2023 at 08:57, 30-6 said:

Hello, did you get a 940 ? 

Yes. I got the xc5 940 Nightfox.

It is a good, well made looking bit of kit. I tried it out on rats, but the farmer had moved bales around and disturbed them and I had a no show from them. But the sight picture through the Alpex at 16 yds was clear as day. Two things that I like on it are a little green light to show it is switched on and the front head to adjust flood cannot be undone completely so no fear of it loosening off.

BUT, I am having two issues with it, but fair play Nightfox are on it right away.

1, the c model is supposed to do away with what they term flickering and banding ( when picture goes fuzzy) when on a tight beam and high intensity so it becomes a square. I had that but doubt I would use that setting regular if at all. I had it on a rabbit about 60 yds with no problems at all for minutes. 

2, I had seen this problem in a review I had read before purchase. There is a white plastic ring inside behind the lens and it has come loose and tilted to one side.

Nightfox answers email within hours, so I'm sure it will all be sorted.

Great for ratting, good for .22 lr 60 yds rabbits.