Making lead shot

I do.

Not dripped lead shot for a couple of years but going to fire up the dripper this month to get some more made for my reloading 👍

I bought a ladle from Woodsman243 (YouTube channel) and me and my Dad made a PID controller and made a setup similar to as is shown in Woodsman243 videos on YouTube. 

I'm by no means an expert but have made plenty usable shot and its enjoyable knowing you're using your own shot. 👍

8 hours ago, Spower said:

I do.

Not dripped lead shot for a couple of years but going to fire up the dripper this month to get some more made for my reloading 👍

I bought a ladle from Woodsman243 (YouTube channel) and me and my Dad made a PID controller and made a setup similar to as is shown in Woodsman243 videos on YouTube. 

I'm by no means an expert but have made plenty usable shot and its enjoyable knowing you're using your own shot. 👍

Perfect weather for dropping shot.👍

I think it not getting the dropper hot enough. I am using a 1500 watt hot plate ring and I do not think it powerful enough. I have it outside because of fumes. I was getting that the dropper would stop/start and sometimes it  would run as a continuous flow. I had a small blow torch and heated up the dropper nuts and it was working fine. I also set the droppers back on the ring to try and heat up the ramp and nuts. But this left a slight gap under the dropper and was not getting it hot enough.

I've not had an issue with my 1500watt plate not being powerful enough for the ladle and drippers but it was sometimes an issue with the heat not transferring to the ramp enough and causing the shot to not roll smoothly into the conditioner, not a problem on a still summer day more when trying to drip below 15ish degrees or with a slight breeze. 

Is your hot plate controlled by a PID controller? 

10 hours ago, Old farrier said:

thermometers are geared to read at sea level if you’re on top of a mountain you may need a little more heat 

Incorrect. 

If anything you will need less heat at altitude, but I doubt you will notice the difference.  Pressure and temperature are linked, and thus at lower pressure (increased elevation), the boiling and melting point of most substances will be lower than at sea level.  Assuming of course you're starting from the same ambient temperature...

1 hour ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Incorrect. 

If anything you will need less heat at altitude, but I doubt you will notice the difference.  Pressure and temperature are linked, and thus at lower pressure (increased elevation), the boiling and melting point of most substances will be lower than at sea level.  Assuming of course you're starting from the same ambient temperature...

Oops got it the wrong way around 

well spotted