Multifuel burner question

I am in the process of new rope/string around the door and painting the exterior black. Prior to that I will be cleaning the flue so full service as you might say.

We got through last winter without using the gas central heating,  well apart from a few days with short bursts.

To get copious amounts of hot water I put a large pan full of water on top of the burner but it's making a mess of the top.

My question is can you get a square of copper say 5" x 5" x 1/2" thick to sit the pan on or would the copper discolour and look a mess or have you any alternatives?

8 hours ago, snow white said:

Why would you want to put copper pan on top of fire I don’t understand if you’re using fire to warn a pan what’s making a mess my missis used to cook stews on top of ours and we had no mess 

This is the pan and this is the top of the burner and the marks on the top.

Screenshot_20230610_070006_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230610_065955_Gallery.jpg

32 minutes ago, Robden said:

Could try a trivet.

I will search trivet, thanks 👍

Either the pan needs wiping clean and dry before it is put on the stove or the aluminium of the pan and the top surface of the stove do not like each other.

When you pour hot water from the pan, I suspect the drips are running down and going under the pan.

What does the underside of your water pan look like?

By placing a piece of copper on top of the stove you will just create more cleaning .

49 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

..........By placing a piece of copper on top of the stove you will just create more cleaning .

The copper will naturally darken by oxidisation to an attractive colour.

If you wanted it to be a dark black to match the stove, treat it with "Liver of Sulphur" which will give any shade of brown from light tan to black, dependant on how long you immerse the copper in the very smelly solution.

eBay 124271625411

6 minutes ago, amateur said:

The copper will naturally darken by oxidisation to an attractive colour.

If you wanted it to be a dark black to match the stove, treat it with "Liver of Sulphur" which will give any shade of brown from light tan to black, dependant on how long you immerse the copper in the very smelly solution.

eBay 124271625411

Thanks 👍

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Either the pan needs wiping clean and dry before it is put on the stove or the aluminium of the pan and the top surface of the stove do not like each other.

The pan is just an aluminium pan with aluminium bottom.

When you pour hot water from the pan, I suspect the drips are running down and going under the pan.

Could be right 👍

What does the underside of your water pan look like?

Aluminium 

By placing a piece of copper on top of the stove you will just create more cleaning .

In what way?

I've got a flat bottomed kettle I use on ours, it's always on the stove when the stove is lit and works well it's just a cheap Amazon job that's meant to go in a job. I'd say don't get a whistling one unless you want to hear a faint whistle all day and night.

Trivets are good but reduce how much heat your getting to the pan or the kettle, that gets used if I'm cooking a thicker sauce like Bolognese. What I do a lot of the time is just chuck a hand full of 2p's on the hot though, only reduces the heat a little and does keep stuff off the top, good for doing flat breads in a cast iron frying pan to go with a stew.

On 10/06/2023 at 09:04, harrycatcat1 said:

Can you recommend any please ?

Unfortunately both of the ones I use are no longer sold. You can often buy them in old school hardware shops or large camping shops. I prefer stainless steel but most importantly you need one where the base touches the surface - some have a rim that is lower than the base and are fine for gas rings but not a wood burner. Also worth checking the base is flat and the kettle doesn't rock.

On 10/06/2023 at 09:04, harrycatcat1 said:

Can you recommend any please ?

Search for "AGA kettle" on eBay.

They have a very solid base to stay in contact with AGA hot plates and come in both aluminium and stainless.

I had my eye on a kettle on fleebay £17 and it holds 10 litre and I thought that will do 😉

Till I looked how much 10 litre actually is, it's like as big as an adblue container 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 I understand pints and gallons but litres take some comprehending

I've just googled it and 10 litres is over 2 gallons, who wants a kettle that holds 2 gallons 🙄🙄🙄🙄

Screenshot_20230612_185512_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by harrycatcat1

20 minutes ago, Robden said:

Use some, then top it up. If you have a hot water immersion tank, you don't usually use it all at once.

The problem is the weight, my Mrs wouldn't be able to lift it off the burner. It would be 10 kg roughly 😳😳

Screenshot_20230613_064805_Gallery.jpg

Edited by harrycatcat1

10 minutes ago, snow white said:

I don’t want to come of the subject but it’s better to fill up with adblue in the garage straight out of the pump no waste.

To be honest I don't think I've seen it in garages 🤔 not looked for it though, I will do next time 👍👍

2 hours ago, Windswept said:

That looks like the remains of old rope glue to me and I've only used rope glue. Once set and heated by the fire the glue sets very hard and is quite brittle. You do need to clear off and old glue, rust and dirt well before using the new stuff.

Ah OK 👍 I've not changed the rope before and in my naivety thought that it was fire cement 🙄 they must have lathered a lot of glue on 👍👍

I've got a wire brush and scraper to get it clean and yet the stuff is very brittle.  Thanks for the advice 👍👍

Just to conclude,  chimney swept, new rope all round, multifuel burner painted black, room painted just failed on the glass.

I've tried oven cleaner,  wilco's barbecue cleaner,  white vinegar, brasso and even jiff. Never mind it will be rate 😉👍

Screenshot_20230619_184654_Gallery.jpg

Edited by harrycatcat1