'Lead shot could be banned in the autumn of this year'

1 hour ago, HantsRob said:

I can count on one hand how many?

That bill is the one referenced from the original article and needs to get through the house of Lords before going to parliament. I can't see it going through all the stages to get to parliament for Autumn though. If it's not the right one I'd be interested to see the current one. 

Happy to be wrong, but i'm fairly sure it's not. The article gave the impression had yet to be introduced to parliament.

https://bills.parliament.uk/bills/3096 - if you click from 'details' to 'news' you will see it says -

News - Lead Ammunition (Restriction) Bill

First reading took place on 13 January. This stage is a formality that signals the start of the Bill's journey through the Lords. 

Second reading - the general debate on all aspects of the Bill - is yet to be scheduled. 

The 2021-2022 session of Parliament has prorogued and this Bill will make no further progress.

13 January 2022
Edited by PeterHenry

35 minutes ago, HantsRob said:

Yes, but it hasn't stopped either :S

image.png.8e9762b42804b31a81ad0a3aac11f2d9.png

Government websites are notorious for being behind. The UK Gov Legislation website was up to three years behind in places at one point.

Anyway, that's all by the by because if a bill hasent come into law by the time parliament is prorogued, it needs to start again from scratch.

Edited by PeterHenry

On 20/06/2023 at 09:52, HantsRob said:

https://bills.parliament.uk/publications/44653/documents/1238

1 Restriction of lead ammunition
(1) Any person who possesses, uses or places on the market lead ammunition for the purpose of shooting animals is guilty of an offence.
(2) 5 Any person who possesses, uses or places on the market lead ammunition for the purpose of target shooting is guilty of an offence.

It includes simple ownership also.

You can follow the progress of the bill if you wish:
https://bills.parliament.uk/bills/3096

You could be liable for a level 4 fine (up to £2,500).

You can thank Lord Browne of Ladyton for raising the proposal/bill.

that's an old bill of 2022 -  not one for this autumn 

The article headline prompting this thread and comments therein perhaps underlines the harsh reality of a sudden cliff edge.

For many years, and long before the 2020 voluntary phase out of lead shot for live quarry with shotguns was launched by the shooting organisations, there has been relentless lobbying of government by antis for a complete ban on lead ammunition.

The article headline certainly concentrates the mind, even if it is rather speculative, and whilst nothing is certain in politics (much less months from now), from what I have heard, there will not be any change in law on the sale and use of lead ammunition this year.

Even if a Bill were tabled, and I am unaware of any plans for a Bill, the legislative process would include a long period of grace to actual implementation.

All attempts to ban lead ammunition have been successfully fought off and in recent years the voluntary phase out being encouraged by the shooting organisations away from lead shot for live quarry with shotguns has been key to avoiding any cliff edge.

The Health and Safety Executive continues its review of all uses of lead ammunition in England, Wales and Scotland and the next consultation will launch sometime in July and we need a significant well informed response to that.

Last year's consultation on the HSE lead ban proposals had 2,759 responses.

No breakdown was provided - likely we will see more information on that in next consultation in July - but I think the majority will have been from shooters - and especially helpful will have been individuals and clubs and syndicates providing detailed information - for in January the HSE announced that it would need a 6 months extension to its timetabled review to analyse the responses, had tripled the number of people working on the responses.

Some weblinks as follows that may be of interest:

HSE announcement

BASC response to HSE consultation

BASC briefing on rimfire ammunition

BASC briefing on centrefire rifle ammunition

BASC briefing on airgun pellets

What we can do as individuals is to respond to the next consultation - hopefully in greater numbers to the last one - BASC will issue guidance on that soon after the consultation launches.