A Black Wing Kite Seen On Hickling Broad

marsh man

58 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Yesterday the bird watchers ( flocked ) on Hickling Broad in Norfolk to get a glimsp of the very rare Black Wing Kite , maybe in a few years time it might well become a regular visitor.

Some nice photos on the Bird Guides website .

Twitchers did similar last year in great numbers when a white tailed eagle was spotted on Westbere lakes and caused it to move on North Easterly where I was lucky enough to see it fly over my little wood when out pigeon shooting. I do wonder whether they (the twitchers) have the birds interest at heart or whether it`s just a `list ticking` exercise for them.

OB

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

Twitchers did similar last year in great numbers when a white tailed eagle was spotted on Westbere lakes and caused it to move on North Easterly where I was lucky enough to see it fly over my little wood when out pigeon shooting. I do wonder whether they (the twitchers) have the birds interest at heart or whether it`s just a `list ticking` exercise for them.

OB

i rekon 95% of twitchers have NO INTEREST in the birds welfare...they are there for one thing..."so they can tickit off"....and brag about it on the net

4 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i rekon 95% of twitchers have NO INTEREST in the birds welfare...they are there for one thing..."so they can tickit off"....and brag about it on the net

I think that you are spot there Simon.

6 hours ago, sandspider said:

Sailed up and down Hickling Broad many times, usually on the way from or to the pub at the top end. Lovely location. Good bitterns too.

The Pleasure Boat Inn , nice little pub to sit outside and watch the sun going down over the Broad , the new King Charles stayed there once with his father the Duke of Edinburgh while on a Coot shoot in 1959 , Charles was playing about upstairs with the landlady's boy who was about the same age and they became a bit rowdy with having a pillow fight , the duke asked the landlady if she would mind going upstairs to have a word with them about keeping the noise down , this she did and Prince Charles never forgot it and many years later sent the landlady a nice letter saying how he enjoyed his stay at the pub and hope the bedroom was soon put right , I believe he also sent her a nice bunch of flowers .

there yer go , another bit of useless imformation :lol: