A few between thunder storms.

Down South

The combine has been busy on my shooting ground the last couple of days. Got the thumbs up from the farmer so set out this morning to protect some crops. Hide set up by 11.30, the first bird dropped in while I was still adjusting things. 3 birds dropped in before I had the gun loaded. Five birds down in no time then a tractor arrived nearby stacking bails. Time for coffee, the sun came out and the tractor moved on. Birds came in 1 or 2 at a time and the bag got grew. The breeze changed direction, the clouds built up then the first rumble of thunder in the distance.  The birds kept coming in small groups and I kept picking some off. It wasn’t long before the rain and thunder came through, 20 minutes of heavy rain found a leak in my new expensive lightweight jacket (it’s going back). The rain cleared the birds came back and I carried on picking them off, even had a few left & rights. The sun broke through, the air warmed up and I shot a good crosser with my last cartridge. After a couple of hours I ended up with 33 shot, 28 picked, 42 cartridges fired, a very pleasant session.
By the time everything was packed into the truck the sky was dark with thunder rumbling out in the English Channel. Driving back across the fields the rain returned, got away just in time.

IMG_0015.jpeg

Great report and what sound like a very good sporting afternoon , we have very few reports from the I O W when it come to Pigeon shooting so what is the shooting like on the I O W for all forms of shooting like Pigeons , game and wildfowl , I have only ever been to the I O W once and that was for a night out and to look at birds that were not on the shooting list :lol: 

47 minutes ago, old'un said:

Get yourself a fishing brolly

I’ve been looking but not committed yet, I like to travel light.

There’s lots of shooting on the Island. Some good (expensive) game shoots, private syndicate shoots where unless you are in the circle you can’t even go beating. I had a small game shoot for 10 years based around that photo I posted. I had 3 landlords, 2 have now moved on and the new owners don’t want to know. Pigeon shooting has gone the same way, 20 years ago I could have shot pigeons for grateful farmers most days, now I’m lucky to have access to 200 acres. I don’t know of any decent wild fowling other than a posh private shoot where they shoot good numbers of teal. I have access to a small farm with a marsh and ditches where I might get lucky and spring a few teal and mallard. We’ve seen the best days I’m afraid. My real pleasure these days is my grand son who at just 7 years wants to come fishing and now shooting so I can pass on the truth of country sports. 

3 hours ago, Down South said:

I’ve been looking but not committed yet, I like to travel light.

There’s lots of shooting on the Island. Some good (expensive) game shoots, private syndicate shoots where unless you are in the circle you can’t even go beating. I had a small game shoot for 10 years based around that photo I posted. I had 3 landlords, 2 have now moved on and the new owners don’t want to know. Pigeon shooting has gone the same way, 20 years ago I could have shot pigeons for grateful farmers most days, now I’m lucky to have access to 200 acres. I don’t know of any decent wild fowling other than a posh private shoot where they shoot good numbers of teal. I have access to a small farm with a marsh and ditches where I might get lucky and spring a few teal and mallard. We’ve seen the best days I’m afraid. My real pleasure these days is my grand son who at just 7 years wants to come fishing and now shooting so I can pass on the truth of country sports. 

Many THANKS for your interesting reply , our good friend on the forum ( Old Farrier ) l believe live on the island and do get involved game shooting , he also made two very nice gun punts so I persume there might be some coastal wildfowling .

I surpose it's all down to supply and demand and more of who you know rather than what you know when it's down to a limited amount of land to be had , still you had a decent afternoon , and as we would say ,that's another day they cannot take :good: