Joyce v Zhang

Gordon R

I was going to follow this...then I fell asleep and by the time I woke up, it was all over. I was surprised at Joyce coming in heavier. Speed wasn't his strong point originally, so I'm not sure how more bulk was ever going to help!

As you say, he's too old now. He's not going to get the title shots he might have once deserved and being alive with an intact brain is a decent future to live out.

Sadly, Joyce has said the he will not retire and "come again". He has a decent punch and prior to the Zhang fights,allegedly had a granite jaw. This compensated for his very limited head and foot movement. Unlike Tyson Fury, I don't think Joyce has a boxing brain.

He will end up like Derek Chisora. 

19 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Sadly, Joyce has said the he will not retire and "come again". He has a decent punch and prior to the Zhang fights,allegedly had a granite jaw. This compensated for his very limited head and foot movement. Unlike Tyson Fury, I don't think Joyce has a boxing brain.

He will end up like Derek Chisora. 

Agreed. There's still the feeling of an amateur about him. that you just have to hit someone harder than they can hit you and you'll get the win. I just don't think there's anything more to him. We've seen all he's got and he's not go enough

I believe Joyce's problem is his lack of a boxing brain. He has always been ponderous, even against a relatively slow moving Zhang in the first fight. His answer to lack of mobility was to pile on weight, making him an easier target. Zhang had the better chin and heavier punch. Joyce looked scared of mixing it from minute one, but didn't try to pick Zhang off from distance, with a decent jab.

Was it Bob Arum who said Joyce would be upset if you missed hitting him, or paraphrasing the late Mickey Duff - "you could hit Joe Joyce in a dark room"?

I don't honestly think Joyce has the ability or mentality to change his style and become faster moving. His decent chin and punch carried him to this level, but it will not carry him to the top. Downhill from here on in.

We've seen all he's got and he's not go enough

That sums it up briefly and accurately.

1 hour ago, Gordon R said:

I believe Joyce's problem is his lack of a boxing brain. He has always been ponderous, even against a relatively slow moving Zhang in the first fight. His answer to lack of mobility was to pile on weight, making him an easier target. Zhang had the better chin and heavier punch. Joyce looked scared of mixing it from minute one, but didn't try to pick Zhang off from distance, with a decent jab.

Was it Bob Arum who said Joyce would be upset if you missed hitting him, or paraphrasing the late Mickey Duff - "you could hit Joe Joyce in a dark room"?

I don't honestly think Joyce has the ability or mentality to change his style and become faster moving. His decent chin and punch carried him to this level, but it will not carry him to the top. Downhill from here on in.

That sums it up briefly and accurately.

He's got a good Olympic pedigree and we both know that doesn't always translate well to the pros, but it does show he has got boxing ability, what I think he lacks more of is experience fighting in the pros and the different style of training and fighting that goes with it. At 32 (I think that's when he went pro) hes been forced to run before he can walk.