Dougy

Someone gave me about a kg of honey with the comb last week and we didint like chewing on the comb all day so i placed it all in a cullender and strained the honey into a jar. Not wanting to waste the honey comb i though i would put it out for the butterfly's and moths. And you would not believe what its attracted :rolleyes:

Just walked past it and its moving :ermm:

What you see in the image is about 25% of the bees that where there before i smoked them with some carboard i was burning. Have i created a no go zone in my own garden, will they move on or do i need to contact a local bee keeper ? 

20231015_145542.jpg

11 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

They will move on when they have cleaned up the comb 

or just move the comb elsewhere 

8 minutes ago, Bigbob said:

As above just storing up food for the winter 

Thanks gents,  that was what i was hoping, id walked past them umpteen times, they dont seem overly bothered had a few crawling over my shirt. 

I have no intention of doing any harm to them, just concerned about the dogs, Oh and the Mrs too. 

its not a swarm, to late in the year for that plus there are around 20-30 thousand bees in an average swarm, as been said, they have picked up the scent from the comb and honey and are toping up for winter.

As Windswept said, there is the potential for the spread of diseases.

2 hours ago, Windswept said:

As a bee keeper I would advise against putting honey or comb out for things as honey bees are likely to be attracted to it and this can lead to diseases being spread.

The honey bees will mostly go home by dusk and I would advise binning whats left.

It is in the bin now, hope its not infected any. 👍