What's the best semi auto .22 that can cycle subsonics

Mungler

Okay, I recently bought a nutty M4 carbine .22 and whilst it is cracking fun with the full power ammo, it has some issues with subsonics, so;

What is regarded as the best cycling .22 RF semi auto?

I have read and researched earlier threads about the 10/22 - it appears to be that the best 10/22 is a £200 out of the box job with £500 of extras stuck on, so leaving this rifle to one side, what semi auto gets the yellow jersey (i.e. is the best "cycler"..... wokka wokka).

Finally does anyone have any experience of the Remmy straight pull (supposed to be the best of both worlds?)

Cheers all.

Okay, I recently bought a nutty M4 carbine .22 and whilst it is cracking fun with the full power ammo, it has some issues with subsonics, so;

What is regarded as the best cycling .22 RF semi auto?

I have read and researched earlier threads about the 10/22 - it appears to be that the best 10/22 is a £200 out of the box job with £500 of extras stuck on, so leaving this rifle to one side, what semi auto gets the yellow jersey (i.e. is the best "cycler"..... wokka wokka).

Finally does anyone have any experience of the Remmy straight pull (supposed to be the best of both worlds?)

Cheers all.

if money is no object then its the walther gsp rifle not to be confused with the walther g22. The Gsp is basically the target pistol with a stock. The trigger and action on these are spot on im told (my old man had a gsp pistol before the ban)

However they are about 1k, believe the sportsmen do them.

Interesting, I had a look at the Walther range but had never come accross one of those.

Not that I want one, but has anyone tried / used their freaky looking bull pup type affairs?

the g22 is not really a walther, more beretta, as walther are owned by beretta now (not sure how long they have been) all i can say is beretta should stick to shotguns, the g22 is possibly the worst .22 ive ever had the miss fortune to shoot. Nosiey, with awful creep, travel and no realy breaking point on the trigger, its cheap and not very accurate.

The gsp is a totally different gun.

Also worth considering might be the browning buckmark. Another pistol/rifle conversion.

From what I have seen, Remington 597's are dire also.

So much so my mate who owes one borrowed my CZ for a competiton a few weeks ago as his remmy wouldn't made it past the first test (and he has done all that should be done to the magazine) That CZ shot over 250 rounds and didn't miss a beat.

As they have said - get a bolt action, or a Ruger that has been done, or a standard one and get spending on it :good:

I have read and researched earlier threads about the 10/22 - it appears to be that the best 10/22 is a £200 out of the box job with £500 of extras stuck on, so leaving this rifle to one side,

If most of your shooting is for fun on the range then the 10/22 will be ideal .There is a multitude of back up and modifications that you can carry out but to get one to shoot reliably on Subs you need only to spend a few quid and certainly not hundreds .

No matter what Semi auto you choose it'll be prone to powder fouling in the moving parts but the Ruger is very easy to maintain to alleviate this .......You will never stop it no matter what.

Things to do for starters

Use a weaker blow back spring

Better quality guide rod

Teflon spray or graphite powder the sliding parts .

I lightened my trigger myself .

All necessary parts and advice can be sourced from these fella's www.rimfiremagic.comVery nice people to deal with :good:

However if your intending the majority of use will be in the field then ditch the semi and go for a Bolt action.

When I first got my FAC for 22lr I wanted a semi and ended up with a 10/22. Only mod was a bolt buffer and handled cheap CBC subs. RIP thousands of bunnies and several charlies too, loads of fun. But; I came so close to buying a lovely Browning pump 22 which had a chamber for 12 rounds I think. Somebody just beat me to it. Now that would have been fun.

That Browning is fugly and the Walthers are quite bad too...

Just stick with a bolt action man... You know it makes sense

wash your mouth out :good:

the g22 is rubbish, but its not a true walther.

bolt action is the way to go, go for a sako finfire if you can find one, as you can afford one mung. and the cz is accurate but not as consistant as a sako or anschutz will be.

I started off with a cz 'bolt' and it was a very accurate hunting tool. But now ive got my tricked up 1022 i would never go back. Its as accurate as the cz and likes winnie and cci subs with next to no stoppage problems and is only cleaned every 300 or so rounds. But has much more of a fun factor.. Put on the 25 round mag and its great fun plinking although i seem to be getting through a fair bit of ammunition :good::no:

Mine has a volquartson recoil buffer, edm extractor and mag release and has had the trigger modded. Finished off with a walther heavy match barrel and venom silencer plus a nice hogue rubber overmolded stock.....nice. I will never sell it..

Mung old bean,

I think what they are trying to say, but tactfully avoiding is this . . .

Next time you go to the gunshop, take a grown-up with you :good:

Don't be gay - who wants a boring grown up bolt action?

I have stuck an order in for the Walther and have made arrangements for outing the M4 carbine - apparently they are quite desirable and there is a long list of wannabe nut jobs who want them (maybe Carbine got his FAC after all eh?). Anyhows, I have obliged by getting a laser sight and tactical red dot sight off fleaby and belive that it is now modded to the max.

If anyone wants a deal of the century on an M4 nutter job then PM me - no tyre kickers or messing about mind you.

Picture below:

post-2923-1193845741.jpg

Mung old bean,

I think what they are trying to say, but tactfully avoiding is this . . .

Next time you go to the gunshop, take a grown-up with you :good:

Don't be gay - who wants a boring grown up bolt action?

I have stuck an order in for the Walther and have made arrangements for outing the M4 carbine - apparently they are quite desirable and there is a long list of wannabe nut jobs who want them (maybe Carbine got his FAC after all eh?). Anyhows, I have obliged by getting a laser sight and tactical red dot sight off fleaby and belive that it is now modded to the max.

If anyone wants a deal of the century on an M4 nutter job then PM me - no tyre kickers or messing about mind you.

Picture below:

which walther have you ordered? gsp?

If you have i will have to come and drool when you get it.