Older Browning's and Steel Shot

Bear68

19 minutes ago, Scully said:

I said at the time I couldn’t find anything relating to ‘shot’ in a proof cartridge, and readily admitted there was shot involved on further searching. 

IT MIGHT help if you did the research before posting erroneous information.

I have no idea what the proof pressure is, but I look forward to your response from the proof house; after all, it would seem it is only they who can answer your queries satisfactorily. 

AGAIN SOME research might help you as the information is readily available. BASC has it but I imagine that source is out of the question.

I also look forward to your response to LB, as you responded to mine; it was he who said you were confusing ‘the issue’. 

Have you asked LB if it's OK for you to drag him into your argument. LB is perfectly capable of looking after himself and knows full well the advantages of patience as mentioned in a recent post.

The statements in my previous post remain relevant, but that isn’t what you want, is it. 
What exactly is it that you want? 

THE POLICE to return my FAC duly amended is all. Would like to offer a bit of advice for you though:

Stop digging.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So one piece of erroneous information ( which I quickly corrected ) condemns my entire input regarding the suitability of nitro proofed guns and steel shot? 
Thats a bit rich isn’t it, coming from someone whose posts often consist of a reluctance to accept logic and the actual findings and experience of others ( including a barrel maker no less! )  who are actually using the stuff! 
If the information is readily available, then why don’t you post it, rather than more often than not posing cryptic questions that no one understands? 
LB is a big boy and ‘dragged’ himself into YOUR argument; each and every time we seem to be getting somewhere dispersing some of the fears and myths surrounding steel shot along comes you and stirs it up again by posting some twaddle which has no relevance to the issue. And you accuse ME of digging! 
FACT: You CAN safely fire steel shot in nitro proved guns. 
FACT: You CAN have your nitro proofed gun proofed for HP steel. 
FACT: As you say, the information is out there, but that obviously isn’t good enough for some. 

2 hours ago, Scully said:

So one piece of erroneous information ( which I quickly corrected ) condemns my entire input regarding the suitability of nitro proofed guns and steel shot? 
Thats a bit rich isn’t it, coming from someone whose posts often consist of a reluctance to accept logic and the actual findings and experience of others ( including a barrel maker no less! )  who are actually using the stuff! 
If the information is readily available, then why don’t you post it, rather than more often than not posing cryptic questions that no one understands? 
LB is a big boy and ‘dragged’ himself into YOUR argument; each and every time we seem to be getting somewhere dispersing some of the fears and myths surrounding steel shot along comes you and stirs it up again by posting some twaddle which has no relevance to the issue. And you accuse ME of digging! 
FACT: You CAN safely fire steel shot in nitro proved guns. 
FACT: You CAN have your nitro proofed gun proofed for HP steel. 
FACT: As you say, the information is out there, but that obviously isn’t good enough for some. 

Wouldn’t waste your time, reminds of a high bird thread from the past, some just won’t accept anything that doesn’t fit their ideas

atb

On 07/12/2023 at 09:52, wymberley said:

This is where it could all get confusing, again because of the use of incorrect terminology, as we're talking steel shot. Historically, we in the UK have always used 'service' as the term for our 'working' pressure terminology. 'Isn't 'Standard' a term which applies to steel shot, the other being 'High Performance' (HP). As I understand it, the service and proof pressures for lead and 'standard' steel shot are the same for both materials. We now come under CIP rules and our everyday terminology relates to proof pressures. The 'proof' pressures for lead (magnum, superior, call it what you will and are dependent upon the nature of the test pressures used) and steel are not, the steel being higher. The use of layman's terms would explain why the (imported) guns are so damned heavy.

When I was told that proof load story it was 25 years ago. As said not sure what it is now.  I just mentioned it for anyone who is interested that's all. 

4 minutes ago, Fil said:

When I was told that proof load story it was 25 years ago. As said not sure what it is now.  I just mentioned it for anyone who is interested that's all. 

No problem.

You're right about the sand. One main fuse with several running from it meant several guns were done at the  same time.

I think the 2&1/2 was duff gen, though. It's been c130% since at least 1925. 

I'm afraid that terminology is my pet hate. Packaging shot size is a prime example - reflected by a consensus on here which says it should be defined by actual size, eg, mms.

Cheers